Polishing Ti …

d8mok

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Looking for advice from those that have done it correctly.

I’ve polished many alloy frame. Starting with low grade paper working up to high with polish to simply finish it.

I’ve also done brushed Ti frames using scotch pads.

However I’ve never done a polished Ti frame.

What’s the process? Couple of light scratches which need removing and then a general shine up.

Frame is a Xizang.

Got a Passoni Titanium frame, full polished… except a name sandblsating written on the top tube. I wanted to remove it.
a solution was gaved to me : some lapping paste for motor valve and rubbing with waxed canvas.
now, look the top tube

Attachments

• CCAC7D09-DD52-43C0-B829-08744A80DF7C.png
    CCAC7D09-DD52-43C0-B829-08744A80DF7C.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 87
  • 8A787D8A-FA93-4028-8E6F-5B863BCAD1AD.jpeg
    8A787D8A-FA93-4028-8E6F-5B863BCAD1AD.jpeg
    930.2 KB · Views: 86
Got a Passoni Titanium frame, full polished… except a name sandblsating written on the top tube. I wanted to remove it.
a solution was gaved to me : some lapping paste for motor valve and rubbing with waxed canvas.
now, look the top tube
*faints*

You can mail GT or Passoni and ask for a price for a refinish, Fat Chance does it and you get the frame like the first day. And if it has some emotional value and it is your "baby"... for me it is worth the money.

Last edited:
It’s not my baby ( I have another mint one) and I ain’t spending 😂

Just need to tidy it up a bit as it’s never had a polish by looks.

If lapping paste is the best route you'd could try diamond lapping paste. I've achieved mirror finish on some very tough materials going down through the grades.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I've done it using Scotchbrite pads and then a polishing compound. No real difference to alloy polishing really.

I always thought Ti was harder (as a material) so needed a different process.

Anyway … I’ve been informed the best route by likely the best person in the UK to know ( they build Ti frames).

Turns out not to use any scotchpads unless you are aiming for a brushed finish.

I’ll post up some pics once done as I’ve collected the bits needed earlier to do the job.

Personally agree for homebrew here.

Even if the polished finished is really what you want to begin with, lemon juice / WD40 with the appropriate Scotch brite pads I think is good enough.

I’ve polished loads of titanium parts by hand including a Xizang and Edge Ti frame, Passoni bar/stem combo and several seatposts and stems. Some were initially brushed or bead blasted. It really isn’t difficult and I’m surprised at the big deal some people make about it.
All I use is 800 grit paper, progressively worn down to very very fine, then finished with Autosol or Brasso. It’s quite easy to get a mirror polish with no scratches at all.

Last edited:
Back