Poing! '92 Slingshot project

mynchiboy

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
It's the usual thing, you promise yourself no more retros until you've had a clear out and then something interesting comes along that scratches an itch you never knew existed…

I've been sitting on this one for a couple of months having scored this for what I reckon was a very good price on the 'bay. My plan is to break and move on a couple of similar age rides and have a bit of fun with this! The frame is lacking it's head badge but landed complete with a cool looking seat clamp, Hope Ti BB that runs very well and better still a nice American Classic post :cool:

The paint isn't too bad on the frame being powdercoat, although the area around the front mech clamp is a bit scabby - I'll just sand back, prime and repaint that I reckon. The decals are a bit tatty but look okay, I may replace or keep - I'm sure I read that Gil has then on file if I crack. Both spring, cable and pivot look to be okay so fingers crossed there.

Build wise it will be a period patina'ed mashup, I'm thinking M735 with thumbies, nicely worn in Turbo, Cooks cranks (or Middleburn RS1's), possibly some Ringle hubbed wheels or Mavic 531's I've lying around - both sets need attention though so the final choice will be down to which I can be bothered to fix first!. My biggest headache so far is the fork. I plan to go rigid but an original straight bladed Slingshot fork is already looking to be a 'mare to find. I do have a chromed Pace RC30 that would be correct age but I'm thinking that it may look a bit odd? Still may give it a try though. Plan B would be to find something close like a 1" P2 fork. We shall see..

Here's pics so far :)

Attachments

• IMG_1624.jpg
    IMG_1624.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 546
  • IMG_1630.JPG
    IMG_1630.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 546
  • IMG_1631.JPG
    IMG_1631.JPG
    178.9 KB · Views: 546
  • IMG_1629.JPG
    IMG_1629.JPG
    158.1 KB · Views: 546
Re:

I remember seeing that frame. I can't remember if I bid, or possibly missed the end of the auction.

Regardless, I'll be watching the build with interest.

Back