New inner and out chainrings bolts
NOS Kalloy seat QR
Some XT canti pads

Using some parts off of my Zaskar project

XT qr's
Suntour pedals
Smoke and Dart tyres
Possibly the brown Turbo saddle

This has a band type front mech in a poor state, I have an XT in 31.8 bottom pull but unsure if this is right or a 28.6 is the right one?

Re:

The band on your front mech will be stainless and should clean up a treat. It should be stamped with the diameter but you could, of course, measure it. You can mix and match any 735 band style mech with any band AFAIK. You loosen the center bolt, and the funny washer sort of "snaps" onto the band whereupon it can be tightened into place. Just for info, the bands have a correct orientation, if it snaps together sloppy and doesn't tighten up nicely, try flipping the SS band.

Cheers, Ted

Re: Re:

ted andkilde":g4squjy3 said:
The band on your front mech will be stainless and should clean up a treat. It should be stamped with the diameter but you could, of course, measure it. You can mix and match any 735 band style mech with any band AFAIK. You loosen the center bolt, and the funny washer sort of "snaps" onto the band whereupon it can be tightened into place. Just for info, the bands have a correct orientation, if it snaps together sloppy and doesn't tighten up nicely, try flipping the SS band.

Cheers, Ted

Thanks for the info Ted, it's the chrome on the cage that's had it. Tried eBay but no joy currently so maybe a wanted post on here is needed.

Re: Re:

Minifreak":9yorpo29 said:
Thanks for the info Ted, it's the chrome on the cage that's had it. Tried eBay but no joy currently so maybe a wanted post on here is needed.

I've had good luck with an Oxalic Acid bath, it'll pull the rust out of the chrome and you can burnish with a ball of aluminum foil, but I don't know what damage it might do to the aluminum parallelogram, and it won't take the pits out. You might be able to lay it on a soaked sponge to avoid mucking up the alloy. Come to think of it, Naval Jelly might be a better bet, I've used it to clean up a rusty chrome chain guard in the past with good results, longer process, paint on with flux brush, rinse away after a few minutes, repeat ad nauseum. The pits are still there so you have to wax.

I see a couple of ratty M735 band mech's on eBay, but in Canada and the US. I would imagine that most guys on the board would have one in a parts bin, I've got one, but it has all the chrome missing from the inside of the cage and a rusty fixing bolt, and, is in Canada...

Cheers, Ted

Thanks for your input guys, got a few options I'm thinking over re the front mech:

Try your methods re rust removal

Use a standard band type front mech, but I think the frame needs a specific size

Hunt down another.

As the bike was such a bargain I'm trying to keep this low budget ;)

Still on my hols so no actual physical progress although parts sourcing has been going ahead ;)

Out of interest, anyone with a either the same bike or same year Marin able to tell me if the RACE-BRED and USA flag decals should also be on the non drive side as mine only appear on the drive side?

Thanks, Tim

Back