Pinarello - real or fake?

The cheap low end Raleigh Europa had the same fork make up lug wise
23196d1270406534-e2.jpg

Yeah this is absolutely a Raleigh. Possibly even two!

My new 83 Record sprint has identical forks, but the dropouts on yours are a match for 84 onward...

Look at the top of the seat stays, I think they only put that type on the more-than-decent frames?

Check across the BB shell - I bet it's 68mm and therefore an english shell. A Pinarello would be Italian and 70mm.

Yes it was 68mm when I measured it.

And it does have the serial number starting with a W, which I hear is commonly found on Raleighs?

I concur with those who suggest it's a Raleigh. I'm not sure which one though. It certainly looks incredibly similar to other examples. I don't mind either way - just curious :)

W is worksop, ex carlton factory. When the carlton place shut, Raleigh Nottingham used it to signify the good frames.

So you've probably got 501 or 531.

Bats":1fgdu50m said:
W is worksop, ex carlton factory. When the carlton place shut, Raleigh Nottingham used it to signify the good frames.

So you've probably got 501 or 531.

Dropouts minus any adjuster screw provision plus 2 x sets bottle bosses....if it's a Raleigh, probably one of the cheapest bottom end 531s or maybe a Criterium 501? The Record Sprint/Elan/Kellogg's 501 "family" could only accommodate a single water bottle, although many of the other details tally.

David

I think the record sprint got a second water bottle mount when they lost the round-oval-round?

Back