Real or fake Shimano chain?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Took a punt on a chain thinking it's probably a fake, out of intrigue more than anything. If it isn't, great, if it is, then no harm aside from seeing how good or bad it is.

On arrival it didn't have the hallmarks of a fake. Box looked good, printing seems good, none of the usual spelling mistakes. Instructions also seem to be the quality you'd expect of a genuine item, again no typos,nice paper and in various languages.

I've not had a Shimano chain for a long time, this one is 11sp with quick link. Stamping on the links seems to be good and uniform. It only has them on one side of the link, no idea if this is how Shimano roll these days.

So is it real, fake, bad fake? Any ideas? How can I test it to see if it's up to the intended task if it is 8ndeed a fake, and should I even bother trying to use it?

Attachments

• PSX_20230204_005713.jpg
    PSX_20230204_005713.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 45
  • PSX_20230204_005727.jpg
    PSX_20230204_005727.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 44
That looks genuine. I compared the same chain in my shop and everything, if it is fake, is identical. The quick link should have small "shimano" etching on each side of the slotted hole and the chain packet will have a pink slip inside and then a UK and Japanese recycling symbol.

I bought one from ebay that when arrived I suspected to be fake due to usual tell tale signs with the packaging, but on arrival and compared to a genuine shimano chain I could tell the difference, link length, width, stamping etc was identical, so it appears IMO, there are some genuine ones out there but are factory 2nds, maybe this is what you have

Question, it is related to this, somewhat

So, there's far more knock off chains than ever in circulation. Generally speaking counterfeiting something perishable and rather cheap isn't worth the bother, right? But with the newer gear options, 11, 12, 13(soon?) the chains have reached a price point where I'm guessing it's worthwhile

My question is though

Why are chains more expensive because they have to be slightly narrower?

Question, it is related to this, somewhat

So, there's far more knock off chains than ever in circulation. Generally speaking counterfeiting something perishable and rather cheap isn't worth the bother, right? But with the newer gear options, 11, 12, 13(soon?) the chains have reached a price point where I'm guessing it's worthwhile

My question is though

Why are chains more expensive because they have to be slightly narrower?
During the whole covid crisis with bike parts I was buying AliExpress specials and they weren't great. The price was about a 6th of that for a new 12s chain and eagle cassette but they got me through. I ride a lot so I ended up going back to 11spd due to the big price between that and SRAM 12 speed.

The chains I got from AliExpress were already over the max wear indicator on my chain checkers so avoid if you can.

I guess the price increase for narrower chains is probably due to the tighter tolerances during manufacturer and having more advanced machines to produce them. They also use better materials generally

They break earlier......you will need them, more than you used to do....so we make them more expensive. You will still need them. Just easy money/ marketing.

Tolerances haven't changed, materials haven't changed. process has barely changed. Shimano 11 and 12 have become simpler with flat sided outers that have a moderate bevel on the inner face for ramping. They've done away with the hard link too which is cheaper for them.

Cost has gone up because demand has gone up.

Tolerances haven't changed, materials haven't changed. process has barely changed. Shimano 11 and 12 have become simpler with flat sided outers that have a moderate bevel on the inner face for ramping. They've done away with the hard link too which is cheaper for them.

Horrible chancers

No, cost has gone up because the price of the steel and the labour and the energy required to convert those raw materials into a viable product has gone up.

Don’t let that interfere with your conspiracy theories though.

Back