Picked up what looks like a very nice Henry Burton

Ah right so the dawes was a bargain then by the sounds of it although it just might be a tad dearer than you want regarding the triple paint finish which actually you should be able to replicate as long as you take a photo for reference and make a note of how much each section of colour measures in length which you can then pass that on to the shop that does the re paint for you but i should imagine the wheel will be salvagable provided theirs no hidden splits in the rims braking surface .

Well tbh i'd stick with the 1st choice of saddle as that looks more sporty and durable and i quite like that shade of tan over the second one ;) ..

Thanks Muddy Paw ive got a friend thats got a car body shop he can spray it for me for £40 but not 3 colours so what I'm going to do. is get him to spray it white and I'm going to airbrush the rest. As for the seat the first one is classic but quite modern the Turbo i really like but ive done some digging on Velobase and the turbo is a bit late for that bike as its mid 80's. so ive found the selle San Marco looks to fit the bill but they are quite expensive cheapest one ive found was £60 ish.

This one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271938811673? ... EBIDX%3AIT

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I phoned Henry Burtons today spoke to a very nice chap by the name of Richard ive got johns email and ive had to send in pics so looking good also as Henry Burton used a 4 digit frame number mines got a 4 digit number 4299 so fingers crossed.

Those saddles look real nice but that price is a lot higher than i'd of expected but unless you can evetually find a cheaper deal then it looks like some saving is in order and as for the paint job i think 40 pounds is a fair price but just how long will air brushing take and i assume you'll be having it clear coated when it's done then as i should imagine the air brushing won't take to kindly to knocks mate .

Yep ! i remember the 4 digit number being mentioned which in itself isn't much use due to the lack of records but if you've sent in some good pics of the frame and lug work then theirs got to be a good chance of a chosen year ..

Well Richard was telling me that Henry liked to do different things with the lugs so no two Henry built bikes should have the same lug work also with the seat post being 26.4. This was another thing Henry used to do for customers some 531 tubing was 27.2 at one end and 26.4 at the other so you could put it in the frame the other way around making it stiffer or more flexible depending on your riding style. I did find a post on it might have been from on here from quite a while back where a chap had his Henry frame dated to 1974 and his frame number was 2013 so I'm thinking if mine is 4299 it would make it much later?

cheers AL

Hopefully ill here back but if not ill take the bike up there one Saturday as its not to far from here and see if John can pin it down to a date.

Well that's quite interesting regarding the frame design's being frequently changed and means yours could be say 1 out of 5 built with that lug design :cool: so not only is the lug design likely to be 1 out of just a few their's a good chance the seat tube was sized in request to a customer's preference , now that's what i call really unique and very special indeed so lets hope their is a clear answer regarding the year and possibly a late 60's model now that would really put the icing on the cake eh! ;) .

MMM i don't think it'll be from the 60's as the other guy that had his frame dated to 74 his frame number was 2013 and mine is 4299 which would put it a lot later also it has top tube braze on brake cable guides which would put it into the 80's. Its the wheel size that put a spanner in the works tho it may be it was made for touring so maybe had bigger gaps for fitting mud guards?. On another note my Dawes impulse is back up and running the guy's at Roylan cycles Cheltenham did a top job and only charged me £10 and to be fair i did think that the wheel was junk as it had quite a nasty bend in it.

Al

Cheers Old School but would it have been made for 27 inch wheels or as some one else has said the longer brake mounts for mud guards?

Thanks Al

Back