Picked up what looks like a very nice Henry Burton

Your welcome speed thing and as far as i can remember my 1st 80's road bike which wasn't an expspensive machine was a Falcon grand prix had some nice enough lug work but no where as artistic as on yours and got my bike in 84 but when i got my Dawes sprint i think it was in 87 it was completely lugless from what i could remember so their may be a bit of a clue in that ..

I like the idea of a stiff rigid frame for better pedal strokes tbh but i also like a slightly springy feel to the frame for comfort so some where between the 2 would be perfect for me ..

Mm! that's more like although it's still naked without the bar tape mate ;) so are you going down the white bar tape route mate or black as i think white would suit best but that's your choice when it come's down to it ..

Thanks not sure i do like white or there is a dullish silver tape i quite like the look of I'm going to change the tatty white white cables for dull look silver braided ones and ive got some nice brown hooded Dia Comp levers to go on as well.

cheers Al

This is getting a tad weird ! as i was thinking about silver while i was writing the other post but wasn't certain whether it would look a bit tacky but if your talking a dullish finish then it shouldn't look to bad at all although tbh i had a silver saddle on my old 97 Dawes which is now long gone :cry: but i do remember having some bronze bar tape on that dawes which i thought looked pretty cool back in 98 but not sure whether that would look a wee bit strange :LOL: ..

On another note whats going on with Dawes impulse as it's looking a little sorry for itself back there ? ..

Ive got the gold braided outer brake cable and gold shiny bar tape on my 83 Raleigh team rep bike and it looks really cool for the seat i was thinking of maybe the brown suede turbo or one of those 70's repro seats in brown that have the rivets around the back of the seat.

Well the Dawes thats another story got it complete for £100 its got a wobble in the back wheel and a busted spoke so thats at a shop hopefully they can get it true again as its a really thin Rigida wheel and ive never seen them come up for sale so fingers crossed. It looks to have been ridden a few times and then just left to rot outside or in a damp cold garage as the frost has got under the paint and got corroded is not to bad as ive scratched some of the paint back cleaned the rust off. Its a shame as it'll need to have the paint stripped off cleaned up and treated then repainted and its 3 colour paint job that don't look that easy to replicate and the theres finding the correct decals as well. Its quite far down my list of things to do LOL.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Latest posts

Back