Peugeot optimum lightweight v Raleigh Clubman

widowmaker

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
My friend has just picked up a Peugeot optimum lightweight and like its name its damn light :shock: :cool:

Compared to my Raleigh Clubman 531 its very light indeed, has anyone got one or ridden one. I know the Peugeot is 531 tubing but it a special 531 ?

Where is the weight saving compared to mine. I know my bike is aimed more as a touring bike, just wondered where the difference in weight comes from ? And if its possible to shave half a kg of mine ?

Re:

How do the 2 frames compare size-wise? The Optima frameset only has 531 main tubes (guessing the rest is probably Carbolite 103) so the tubeset is nowt special. Both bikes, AFAIK, are butted 531 not plain-gauge so no real diffference in tube wall thickness that might affect the weight. Details like type of lugset and BB shell might give one frame the edge over the other weight-wise but not by a huge margin. From photos on Google Images it looks as though it's the front fork that gives the Peugeot the advantage - 531 blades and a modern cast sloping crown (the Clubman's is probably 18-23 high-tensile or similar with an older flat-top style of crown).

David

Re: Re:

David B":t1my4mnw said:
How do the 2 frames compare size-wise? The Optima frameset only has 531 main tubes (guessing the rest is probably Carbolite 103) so the tubeset is nowt special. Both bikes, AFAIK, are butted 531 not plain-gauge so no real diffference in tube wall thickness that might affect the weight. Details like type of lugset and BB shell might give one frame the edge over the other weight-wise but not by a huge margin. From photos on Google Images it looks as though it's the front fork that gives the Peugeot the advantage - 531 blades and a modern cast sloping crown (the Clubman's is probably 18-23 high-tensile or similar with an older flat-top style of crown).

David

Good info, thanks :cool:

The frames are the same size, I shall have to keep my eyes peeled for set of 531 forks :)

hi widow maker. any chance you could give give us some frame and fork figures.
it kind of reminds me of another thread where the reader said there was little difference in weight
between his 531 653 753 which surprised me.i know that 753 is heat treated 531 but could any one tell
me if it was thinner in the first place ? i also read that 653 is 531 main tubes with 753 rear triangle. but what about the forks ? apologies for hijacking your thread' widow maker'

maybe when the stuff got delivered someone dropped the pile and it all got jumbled up :LOL:
they didnt want to get a rollicking like the time they put the 501 in the 531 racks so they kept stum :D :LOL:

the ones i just googled ar'nt.
i reckon my made in taiwan halfords carrera 531 has cromolly rear. its deffinately not light.
i had a dawes galaxy once and that was heavy too but i seem to recall one along time ago some one' s i picked
it up and it was as light as some racers i could'nt believe it !

biggs682":7u601e75 said:
i thought the Optimums are lugless design

You're not getting it mixed up with the Raleigh Optima (TIG-welded Reynolds cromoly) are you?

David

Back