Peugeot 753

Gallego

Dirt Disciple
Hi there - just bought another project bike - single owner, Peugeot 753 frame bike. Anybody have any idea what year it is or model name as nothing on the frame.

She presents well with a full Shimano 600 Tricolour groupset but I can't work out if I'm better off:

1...painting to original colour scheme (guessing it will be expensive)
2...painting to a new scheme and polishing the forks
3...selling as it is a little new compared to my other projects.

Interested to hear your thoughts!

Jose

It is a nice bike ! A paint job will be expensive though but on a 753 frame it's worth it :)

Re:

Will check in the morning but 56 I think.

Just not sure what to do as just finished a B Carre with Dura Ace Crane groupset for next years eroica.

Re:

What you have there was a limited production of the Perthus in Carrera colours . Everyone has seen photos of Stephen Roche`s Battaglin in those colours but as the team was also sponsored by Peugeot, in certain events he rode `Peugeot` branded bikes although if you look closely they were NOT Peugeots. You could buy a Peugeot 753 in those colours as a frameset also. I have to say yours is way bigger than 56, more likely 59 ?

Attachments

• stephenroche2.jpg
    stephenroche2.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 896
  • rochepeugeot.jpg
    rochepeugeot.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 891
Re:

Thank you for that. I have looked through lots of sales brochures and simply not found it. So...is it likely to have been sold as a frame to then spec the groupset?! I was a little surprised to find 600 as the frame deserves better? Do you also now what your it is likely to be?

Will measure it tomorrow and post but it sounds as if it might deserve a like for like paint job. I do note the polished forks...the ones on the bike are chipping relatively easily so wonder if they started life polished.

Re: Re:

Gallego":hambi8hd said:
Thank you for that. I have looked through lots of sales brochures and simply not found it. So...is it likely to have been sold as a frame to then spec the groupset?! I was a little surprised to find 600 as the frame deserves better? Do you also now what your it is likely to be?

Will measure it tomorrow and post but it sounds as if it might deserve a like for like paint job. I do note the polished forks...the ones on the bike are chipping relatively easily so wonder if they started life polished.

The forks suggest it is at least 1988 as Peugeot changed the fork crown design on the 531 / 753 and PY ( special order ) models during 1987 as prior to that they had the Peugeot Lion engraved on the fork crown. The serial number will probably begin with a B or Y and the next number will tell you the year however there are exceptions to special order frames. Yours also has vertical dropouts which became the norm in 88 so I would say 1988.

Re:

Wow...that’s an incredible level of knowledge...thanks you!!!

Would you keep it original with the 600 groupset then? I’ve not ridden it yet so no idea how good or over rated 753 is!

Re: Re:

Gallego":d1nx7pid said:
Wow...that’s an incredible level of knowledge...thanks you!!!

Would you keep it original with the 600 groupset then? I’ve not ridden it yet so no idea how good or over rated 753 is!

The Peugeot 753`s are race proven and the fact so many of them survive speaks for itself . Groupset depends entirely on your budget if you wanted to keep 600 you could prob get any bits you need straight off ebay. I have done Peugeots with Mavic and Campagnolo but you can easily get carried away on costs . 600 of the period is good stuff or maybe you could go Dura Ace 7400 if you have a bit of cash to throw at it.

Back