Pentlands (actually bring a) Retro Ride - Saturday 14th May

Status
Not open for further replies.
Planning to come all being well on my Kona Pahoehoe 2000. Is that retro enough? The Z1's on it are from '97 if that helps but it is a bit well weathered...

I dont think I can do the whole day as still under the weather with a virus (3 months now) and last time I tried a ride (Pentlands as it happens) I ended up with a big off and dodgy shoulder through fatigue. Reckon I can do up to lunchtime ish and Hunters Tryst.

Looking forward to it.

Re:

Aye Dyson, that's plenty old enough. Might fall outside the official site definition of pre-98, but you're more than welcome.
Be good to meet you.

I'll be bringing along Barry's old Stumpy - it's running discs though, and I'll be buggered if I'm cutting off the grips just to fit some period correct rim brake rubbish :p

With your record with rim brakes I think we'd all prefer you to have discs ;)

I've got the best in cable rim brakes with parallel push V's, no canti's for me on this trip :D

Re:

Call yourself retrobikers! Bunch of girls, flouncing about with brakes that actually work.
Good old fashioned canti's for me, with badly adjusted power cams and original 20 year old grey Aztec pads.

See you in a&e :)

Re:

I'm just being true to my mtb roots. Canti's were starting to disappear and V-Brakes were starting to appear when I started mtb'ing in 1994. :D
Anyhoo A&E in Edinburgh is a major drag so best avoided ;)

Re: Re:

velomaniac":162ncgh9 said:
I'm just being true to my mtb roots. Canti's were starting to disappear and V-Brakes were starting to appear when I started mtb'ing in 1994. :D
Anyhoo A&E in Edinburgh is a major drag so best avoided ;)
Strictly speaking Shimano V-brakes first appeared in 1996 so that argument isn't going to fly Velo :LOL:

(there were linear pull brakes available much earlier though so We'll let you off this time).

Re:

People call me a grumpy Pedant.....sheesh :roll: :LOL:

I had Shimano M600 V-brakes in 97 or 98 right enough so they could have been the new thing the previous year or so. I was desperate to get rid of canti's and had tried those brake booster cam systems to try and improve things to no avail. At the time I had not mastered the black art of canti set up and even now I still curse them into working :LOL:

Re: Re:

velomaniac":wxx4zy4t said:
People call me a grumpy Pedant.....sheesh :roll: :LOL:

I had Shimano M600 V-brakes in 97 right enough so they could have been the new thing the previous year.
Welcome to "Retropedant" (AKA Retrobike) :LOL:

96 Zaskar is my weapon of choice, now resplendent with 95 Judy XC and full M737/739

Taking me back to my pentlands roots of 1992/1993

Have a 2pm curfew though so have to go quick.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back