Pedal/shoe clip or not questionarama

Re:

I tried SPDs and didn't like them and went back to clips and straps. The whole clipping in and out thing was fine, but I like to move my feet about a bit and found having my feet held in one position uncomfortable.

In any case, I recommend trying an inexpensive set of shoes and pedals to start with to make sure you like the whole set-up.

Where do you live? If you're not far from Folkestone, Kent, I have a pair of SPD pedals you can borrow for a while if you come and collect them.

Ok, thanks for all the feedback and compliments on the ride.

I've found some Giro's that can be use with or without clips so reckon that's the best solution eh? Try those, stick with current pedals and then see how we get on.

Thanks for the offer Xerxes - appreciate it, but I'm in Suffolk, so it's a bit of a stroll.

Re:

What a stunning Roberts. It has elements of DOGS BOLX about it (ovalised downtube), but the eyes on the forks and drop outs say different and by the look of those chain stays it's made (at least in part) of Columbus MAX OR. Whatever it is, it looks great and well done for getting back on board.

I like cleated pedals, I have done since 1994. My choice is Time atac as they allow a little float and I have a slightly iffy left knee. Shimano SPD's can also be set for little float but not to the same degree.

The main thing with cleats is that you are attached to the pedals, so you have to make a conscious effort to get your foot out. I know it is the same if you are riding with toe clips and straps, but I don't remember ever really strapping myself in, at least not with my right foot, so I always had the opportunity to pull my foot back and out of the toe clip.

If you like the idea of cleats, then try them and keep the original pedals in reserve, just in case.

Re: Re:

NeilM":18ep02bj said:
What a stunning Roberts. It has elements of DOGS BOLX about it (ovalised downtube), but the eyes on the forks and drop outs say different and by the look of those chain stays it's made (at least in part) of Columbus MAX OR. Whatever it is, it looks great and well done for getting back on board.

I like cleated pedals, I have done since 1994. My choice is Time atac as they allow a little float and I have a slightly iffy left knee. Shimano SPD's can also be set for little float but not to the same degree.

The main thing with cleats is that you are attached to the pedals, so you have to make a conscious effort to get your foot out. I know it is the same if you are riding with toe clips and straps, but I don't remember ever really strapping myself in, at least not with my right foot, so I always had the opportunity to pull my foot back and out of the toe clip.

If you like the idea of cleats, then try them and keep the original pedals in reserve, just in case.

Hi,

Glad you like it. To clear up the mystery, it's basically a Roberts Phantom with a few tweaks. So it's a complete Max Or frame set with a few eyes and stuff added just in case. I had it made to measure many years ago when I bike mad and plonked all the bits on it as I went along.
It was my real dream machine at the time, and it's great to still have it 20 years later although as I've said, it's been dormant for 10+ yrs.

I think I'll get those Giro's so at least the option is there and then try some old clips off eBay or here.

Cheers,

D.

Re:

You need to nip over to the Pre 97 section and post that picture in the British Steel thread. There are a few boys over there who will go nuts.

Phantom, yes, I should have figured that out.

I had an 89 White Spider for a while, and currently have a 92 DOGS BOLX which I had Chas repair (new top tube) and respray a couple of years ago.

I have to add, these are both recent purchases as I didn't have the money BITD to afford either.

Re:

Nice Roberts!

As for pedals you could always get some modern flat pedals and some FiveTen shoes or similar?

Re: Re:

mass199":1g9kcw83 said:
Nice Roberts!

As for pedals you could always get some modern flat pedals and some FiveTen shoes or similar?

Cheers.

I've not seen those shoes before, I'm really out of the loop. I'll have a look thanks,

D.

Re:

I have toe clips on all of my bikes (apart from the BMX) and can't live without them. Tried flat platform pedals but on bumps/jumps found my feet shifting around on them a bit unnerving! Not a fan of SPD's as where I ride the need to quickly put a foot down to steady ones self can be a regular thing! Cheap pair of trainers do the trick and you can stop and walk into the pub with out sounding like you're wearing high heels!

Doug

Re:

Check out my sale of pedals, shoes and cleats in the > 98 section. An inexpensive way of trying clipless and you could always sell them on if they don't suit.

Failing that flatties and 5/10s might be the way to go.

Depending on how technical your riding is anything might be safer for you and that great bike than toe clips I.M.H.O.

Back