Painted Roundabouts

feetabix":uinz0hcc said:
they have no different legal precedent to any larger roundabout, and are marked with a blue circular sign giving a positive instruction to travel round them in a clockwise manner......any deviation from this is technically an offence under the road traffic act.....often though a vehicle turning right has to clip the roundabout to turn right as this is the only way of avoiding the kerb on the left hand side.......

they seem to have been placed at sites that were originally marked as t junctions, and used along with speed bumps to slow things down a bit as traffic levels have raised in recent years.....on a daily basis i have to discourage learners from going over them or on the wrong side of them to turn right, it appears to be a bad habit subconciously learned from the example set by other motorists who cant be bothered to get things right for the sake of extra safety.....another problem is the loss of view to the right in a situation where a mini roundabout has set the give way line further back than it was designed to be when the junction was a standard 't' junction......garden fences and bushes then restrict a view.....

regarding cambered mini roundabouts, surely any road user effected by the camber (the 2 wheeled variety) by the nature of their width has plenty of space to get around the roundabout without going over it?

although it does not contravene any legal precedent, it also amazes me how many people feel it acceptable to try and 'u' turn at small roundabouts.....there is often little room causing a driver to have to reverse a bit whilst turning, and catching drivers out, with little time to think, who assume the driver is turning right and take the opportunity to go....... :?

roundabout geek :D

There used to be one outside the front of what's now the Emirates Stadium in Arsenal, London.
I used to really enjoy picking my missus up from the gym on a rainy Tuesday night as the streets were always deserted, and I could slide my old 190E beautifully sideways around that old thick-paint circle.
Once the stadium opened and assumed full operation, the killjoys dahn the Tahn Cahncil put a kerb around it... :cry:

Feel like getting out and twatting drivers who drive into a roundabout (or any junction actually) then stop there because they can't cross and block traffic from the right. :evil:

feetabix":38lyg86e said:
they seem to have been placed at sites that were originally marked as t junctions

That's exactly how this particular roundabout came about., it used to be a T junction although there is also an exit to a farm driveway. I'm not sure who in their wisdom thought it a good idea to change it to a mini roundabout. If you approach from any direction to turn right and do so in the legally required way, you have to almost encroach on the next exit whilst manoeuvring around the roundabout. This causes confusion to other road users as even with signals, you appear as though you are taking the next exit (left). On a bike it becomes even more dangerous.

I have 2 modifications to the road layout on my way to work. Both of these have the general consensus that they have created extra hazards for road users.

Bring back the T Junction :)

Attachments

• 2013-01-15_0842.jpg
    2013-01-15_0842.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 177
JamesM":9v2p5cuz said:
I'd drive over that. I'd cycle over it too!!!

Yep, that's my point, its actually safer to drive or ride over it. Like they say, laws are made to be broken :LOL:

If they had put it more central then you wouldn't have to drive over it quite so much, just the offside wheels. The arrows are there to be driven over. I don't think clipping mini roundabouts with the offside wheels is a big deal.

To be fair that is a half ased roundabout. The circle seems tiny, the arrows .. Why? They don't normally have them.
If they cannot be bothered to make one properly then...

Back