Paint Job

Paint Chipping
Chipping is a problem with any liquid paint system regardless of who is doing the spraying. It does not matter how skilled the sprayer is, it is the way the paint resin system is formulated in order to be diluted with thinners. We know because we used to wet spray, but we needed something more robust. Powder coating has a reputation of looking like plastic coating e.g. nylon or PVC, nothing could be further from the truth, most people would not be able to tell whether it is powder coated or wet painted, the two look very similar. The reason why powder coating is now used to paint most new bikes is one of economics, it is much faster to apply and requires less coats. A frame can be painted, cured and be ready for assembly in an hour. Powder coating bicycle frames, it is undoubtedly tougher than wet paint when applied properly. At exhibitions we invite potential customers to hit sample panels with a 2-pound hammer, you can imagine how stupid we would look if it chipped in front of an audience. Finally, it is environmentally friendly because powder coating bike frames does not require solvents, which is good for the atmosphere.
Just a final note of caution we are asked to strip and re-powder coat bike frames because they have been stripped but not blasted, this means the frame does not have a good key for the powder coat to adhere to and will chip easily.
Decals
You may also be interested to know Turner bikes and I believe Marin and I no doubt many other manufacturers use Mylar decals which do not need lacquering over the top. If you have problems locating decals you can supply artwork to a local vinyl sign company and they should be able to cut you what you want. Be aware of copyright infringements.
I hope this is useful to you.

Windridge Coatings":2ajjpcfz said:
Paint Chipping
Just a final note of caution we are asked to strip and re-powder coat bike frames because they have been stripped but not blasted, this means the frame does not have a good key for the powder coat to adhere to and will chip easily.
It's good to have a powder-coater on the forum.

I'd be interested to know what you say to Hamster's suggestion that powder-coating is more susceptible to under-paint rust forming? From the look of your website, the lack of an effective priming coat that he refers to doesn't seem to apply to your process. Is this a difference between what you offer and what cheaper powder-coaters do?

i have to say i'm suprised to hear of chipping from the argos paintjobs, my lime crosswork was done by them and i dropped a spanner on the chainstay and suffered no damage other than a temporarily overclenched arse! the paint on that is now 2 years old and has hardley any marks except a little bit of chain slap but nothing really bad.

my clockworks were both done by bob jackson as was my aluminium O, which i'm about to post pictures of in a minute, the clockworks both have "wet paint" finishes which are definately more delicate, having just chipped the 93 clockworks toptube the other day it is definately more frail but the finish and colour options are a lot wider from bob's and cheaper than argos.

i would personally say use a proper bike sprayer though and i usually leave the decals to them aswel, i just email them examples of what i want and it comes back how i want it :D simples!!!

good luck with the project though :D

Back