Crankset,Powder coat or spray paint?

Martini-night

Dirt Disciple
20230617_082403.jpg I've got this old crankset that looks very used (looks worse than the pic).
I want to make it like new,should i:
- powder coat or spray paint it?
Chainrings are metal but crankset arm I'm not sure if is aluminium

Doesn't look that bad, how about you take it apart and clean/degrease it.
It's 35 years old and the sticker is like new has barely any rust (if any) on the bolts.
I don't see how this wouldn't clean up very nicely.

Doesn't look that bad, how about you take it apart and clean/degrease it.
It's 35 years old and the sticker is like new has barely any rust (if any) on the bolts.
I don't see how this wouldn't clean up very nicely.
I thought about that,but believe me,looks alot worse than the pic..

I would powder coat it. My siver Shimano XT cranks have bare spots where the paint has been rubbed off by my leg touching the cranks. Better coating is a good idea there.
Biopace is pretty cool. It's funny that different makers of oval chainrings timed the hi-low areas differently. All claimed scientifical proof of their version.

Powdercoat will be fine, but you just want to make sure you take out and flatten any damage first....no point spending good money to get back a dented crank!

Chainrings are steel, arms are aluminium. For what its going to cost you to powdercoat them I'd look out for a better condition set.

I have restored a few vintage motorbikes and by far powdercoating is the most durable. I`d recommend you get some scrap spindles to mask the pedal threads and you`ll need to protect the crank cap threads too which may be an issue as crank caps are usually plastic.The chainring spider interface will need to be filed down after powdercoating too to ensure a good fit.I dont think its worth the hassle for a humble 400LX chainset though....

I have restored a few vintage motorbikes and by far powdercoating is the most durable. I`d recommend you get some scrap spindles to mask the pedal threads and you`ll need to protect the crank cap threads too which may be an issue as crank caps are usually plastic.The chainring spider interface will need to be filed down after powdercoating too to ensure a good fit.I dont think its worth the hassle for a humble 400LX chainset though....
It depends on how much experience the powdercoater has with bike parts. When I had my M900 cranks powdercoated I didn't need to do my own masking and the threads were perfect with no need for cleaning and the chainring bolt holes were still the correct size.

I know powder coat etc will cost more than its worth,but its more like sentimental value...I've got the bike since 92. I'm restoring the entire bike

Back