Crankset,Powder coat or spray paint?

Chainrings are steel, arms are aluminium. For what its going to cost you to powdercoat them I'd look out for a better condition set.
Aye but the aluminium arms is still ok to powder coat innit? The powder coat guy says he can powder coat anything 😆

Can
I would powder coat it. My siver Shimano XT cranks have bare spots where the paint has been rubbed off by my leg touching the cranks. Better coating is a good idea there.
Biopace is pretty cool. It's funny that different makers of oval chainrings timed the hi-low areas differently. All claimed scientifical proof of their version.
Can aluminium arms be powder coat?

Yes. No problem. Just be aware of the threads and tapers. But anybody worth their salt will cover those.......

Like i said above, its not a magic wand...if goes with dips and dents...it comes out with dips and dents.

As with all restoration....secrets in the prep.

Yes. No problem. Just be aware of the threads and tapers. But anybody worth their salt will cover those.......

Like i said above, its not a magic wand...if goes with dips and dents...it comes out with dips and dents.

As with all restoration....secrets in the prep.
I was told aluminium crankset arms have to be anoyadized or something but I'll ask the powder coat guy to powder coat everything

The anodising will come off when they blast them....its only the aluminiums own surface after all.

Ive had everything from gearboxes to crank covers, side panels, frames and hundreds of wheels all in alluminium powder coated.....its fine.

Powder is much thicker than anodising or ceramics, that's why the threads need covering.

Even a stem can be an issue if its powdercoated too thickly....I've had them not go back in the steer! Nothing that a bit a sanding won't fix.

The only big thing to watch on steel frames is anything soldered on or together.....if the ovens too hot they can come off!

On alluminium it tends to be problem with dipping certain alluminium alloys to remove paint.....we had a fork tree vanish in a tank once 😂. It was Suzuki.....so crap anyway.

Your crank will be fine.

I've had aluminium Saint cranks powdercoated with no problems. As has been said already the secret is in the preparation and protection of the threads.
Now would be the time to consider a colour change too.

I've had aluminium Saint cranks powdercoated with no problems. As has been said already the secret is in the preparation and protection of the threads.
Now would be the time to consider a colour change too.
I vote for pink, like your namethingymalogo.

If it’s a wall hanger, then powder. If you’re going to ride it then paint. Riding will make it look more worn after a few rides.

Back