Orange Patriot bargain??

That's a bargain.

If I'd lucked into that, I'd probably modernise the drive train to 1x something, whatever cassette you can get on the wheels to keep the cost down. 1x10 or 11.

I'd also upgrade the forks and shock as the Sid wasn't ever regarded as decent as far as I'm aware.

Now why would I do that?

The cranks are m952, great cranks for sure, my favourite retro groupset, and you've got shifters and front mech too.

But, the bottom bracket is a hard item to source if it's got dodgy bearings, you'd be looking at more than you paid for the bike for a good used one. Same goes for rings as they are proprietary BCD for the cranks.

That said, if they are all in decent condition, I'd keep them on the bike and find an m952 rear mech to match.

Forks look a bit tatty, and a pair in stealth black would look better imho. They are rock shox psylo, and parts for them are also scarce these days if you need to service them, I doubt many service centres would do them, and you'd be looking at a price of a decent used fork if anyone would service them I'd say.

Rear shock is just so etching there are many options that are better and again servicing more readily available.

If you don't want to spend any money and it's all good mechanically, fettle it and ride.

If you want to modernise it, you'd be future proofing it and if you sold the drive train you'd have a nice little pot of money to do it with.

If it were mine, I'd probably run 1x10 zee or slx gearing, black middleburn cranks and some pace rc41s on it as a nod to a British brand.

But I'd also consider an m952 xtr rear mech and ride it too. Though I'd always be thinking about the shock and forks.
Thanks for the knowledge, if I can I want to keep cost down.

I may just tidy her up, new brakes and grips. See how it rides.

The RL working must be a good sign right? Or could the suspension still be knackered?

Bit of a question and small update..

Both wheels show alot of wobble from the hubs, my lbs says they are probably sealed.

Could it be anything just needs tightening or would it 100% be bearings??

I have fitted new grips and front brake with rear Deore XT to be fitted.

Front brake is a bargain but not really inkeeping with high end parts fitted. Still has alot of power though and is brand new! Link here if anyone needs a cheap front brake.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231212_133341_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20231212_133341_eBay.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 0
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
What hubs are they? Shimano will be cup and cone so might need tightening, hope would be sealed but probably just need a bearing change, which isn't expensive.

Back