Orange Patriot bargain??

djjinx1

Dirt Disciple
Buying this today for £40, no idea on year or if its all original.

How easy will this be for a novice to bring back to life? It's sold as for renovation or parts so no idea on condition yet, I believe it was their sons and has been stored a long time.

Thoughts?

Screenshot-20231130-074557-Facebook.jpg

Screenshot-20231130-074631-Facebook.jpg

Screenshot-20231130-074613-Facebook.jpg

Screenshot-20231130-074623-Facebook.jpg

Nee chain and bleed the brakes. For 40 quid I'd be a bit worried about its origins looking at it. That's a well cared for machine.

Hopefully it’ll just need a service then be ready to go! Looks to have plenty of original parts and the crank set + front mech are worth double what you paid.

So they were wealthy and it was their sons, the guy even tried his best to take less money!

Both remote lockouts work which is better than my new bike 😆

Comes with hope brakes not attached but I may just get some ready made and bolt them on.

#winning

20231130-175018.jpg

20231130-175034.jpg

20231130-175040.jpg

20231130-175057.jpg

20231130-175103.jpg

20231130-175117.jpg

That's a bargain.

If I'd lucked into that, I'd probably modernise the drive train to 1x something, whatever cassette you can get on the wheels to keep the cost down. 1x10 or 11.

I'd also upgrade the forks and shock as the Sid wasn't ever regarded as decent as far as I'm aware.

Now why would I do that?

The cranks are m952, great cranks for sure, my favourite retro groupset, and you've got shifters and front mech too.

But, the bottom bracket is a hard item to source if it's got dodgy bearings, you'd be looking at more than you paid for the bike for a good used one. Same goes for rings as they are proprietary BCD for the cranks.

That said, if they are all in decent condition, I'd keep them on the bike and find an m952 rear mech to match.

Forks look a bit tatty, and a pair in stealth black would look better imho. They are rock shox psylo, and parts for them are also scarce these days if you need to service them, I doubt many service centres would do them, and you'd be looking at a price of a decent used fork if anyone would service them I'd say.

Rear shock is just so etching there are many options that are better and again servicing more readily available.

If you don't want to spend any money and it's all good mechanically, fettle it and ride.

If you want to modernise it, you'd be future proofing it and if you sold the drive train you'd have a nice little pot of money to do it with.

If it were mine, I'd probably run 1x10 zee or slx gearing, black middleburn cranks and some pace rc41s on it as a nod to a British brand.

But I'd also consider an m952 xtr rear mech and ride it too. Though I'd always be thinking about the shock and forks.

Back