oldest bike, still being ridden on a daily weekly basis?

Dr S":3eei5c53 said:
Danob1":3eei5c53 said:
Farmfield":3eei5c53 said:
Kinda weird, even in that condition I find the Kona beautiful... Why are modern frames so fugly? Is it the front suspension compensated frame design that kills the 'lines'?

Love the RM too, especially the fork...
Agreed. Why do yungsters and new riders want full suspnsion this, disc brake that. Bike designers at the moment are befudled they just can't come up with clean lines like they used to. Give me a double triangle and i'm happy.

Theres plenty of good looking new bikes around at the moment, even with discs!

3743079532_7e182891e8_b.jpg

3742284361_c8f07b6d5b_b.jpg
Yeah ok point taken. But when you see a bike comming towards you with full sus and liquid disc don't you want to shout, why dont you put an engine on that and get a bike licence! :LOL:

legrandefromage":j8jcsriv said:
My '93 Zaskar frame has achieved some 45,000 - 60,000 miles commuting/ off-road/ under water.

That was my only bike for many moons - now I have 6 others to choose from.

how many miles did you do underwater and how? :shock:

My 82 stumpjumper gets ridden once or twice a week. Right now I have the stem and bars off in the process of making it more 82ish...will be making a thread in the next day or two.

losidan":7ar1l67t said:
legrandefromage":7ar1l67t said:
My '93 Zaskar frame has achieved some 45,000 - 60,000 miles commuting/ off-road/ under water.

That was my only bike for many moons - now I have 6 others to choose from.

how many miles did you do underwater and how? :shock:

'98 floods - I was out doing my usual route, taking photos when it got deeper...

and deeper

and deeper

Why do yungsters and new riders want full suspnsion this, disc brake that.

Despite me being a retrobiker - because they work better and allow people to ride faster and longer.

My two mountain bikes are a fully rigid one and a hardtail - and I love riding both of them. But I can't keep up with my b-in-law on his Trek Fuel EX8 - he can out-brake me, out turn me and he can ride through stuff flat out that I have to pick my way through. If we swap bikes the situation is reversed.

His bike is also more comfortable and so he can ride it longer than I can ride mine before feeling that someone's been kicking my arse all day.

The trade-off is feel - his bike feels uninvolving and 'dead' - it has no soul. How happy I'd be with that trade-off depends on whether it's a 4 hour ride or a 14 hour ride.

My bike only wins on smoother terrain or uphill.

That Raleigh Clubman looks cool!

Can we have a pre 1975 bicycle, bike of the month compo?

Cos i have my eyes on the winner. Although i need to keep it close to my slightly hairy and musculine mans chest!

Al, doing all the thinking, so you don't have to. :D

Still use my 92 GT Talera most days currently running single speed with a 42x16 ratio excelent for local trrails and round town, also it has been in the family from new and is in mint condition with original splatter paint job :cool:

Danob1":3btztvfn said:
Dr S":3btztvfn said:
Danob1":3btztvfn said:
Farmfield":3btztvfn said:
Kinda weird, even in that condition I find the Kona beautiful... Why are modern frames so fugly? Is it the front suspension compensated frame design that kills the 'lines'?

Love the RM too, especially the fork...
Agreed. Why do yungsters and new riders want full suspnsion this, disc brake that. Bike designers at the moment are befudled they just can't come up with clean lines like they used to. Give me a double triangle and i'm happy.

Theres plenty of good looking new bikes around at the moment, even with discs!

3743079532_7e182891e8_b.jpg

3742284361_c8f07b6d5b_b.jpg
Yeah ok point taken. But when you see a bike comming towards you with full sus and liquid disc don't you want to shout, why dont you put an engine on that and get a bike licence! :LOL:

That back disc looks tiny!! :LOL:

terryhfs":2l0y1w6k said:
Why do yungsters and new riders want full suspnsion this, disc brake that.

Despite me being a retrobiker - because they work better and allow people to ride faster and longer.

My two mountain bikes are a fully rigid one and a hardtail - and I love riding both of them. But I can't keep up with my b-in-law on his Trek Fuel EX8 - he can out-brake me, out turn me and he can ride through stuff flat out that I have to pick my way through. If we swap bikes the situation is reversed.

His bike is also more comfortable and so he can ride it longer than I can ride mine before feeling that someone's been kicking my arse all day.

The trade-off is feel - his bike feels uninvolving and 'dead' - it has no soul. How happy I'd be with that trade-off depends on whether it's a 4 hour ride or a 14 hour ride.

My bike only wins on smoother terrain or uphill.

Its a trek :twisted:

chris667":2vitmr7p said:
My 1948 Raleigh Clubman? It's currently the only working bike I have. I use it every day, and it's brilliant.
DSCN0339.jpg

You'll spend a long time waiting for some bikes to break.

WOW! That is truly a fantastic and very very beautiful bike! Classic!! :shock:

Back