What tools do you use ? 🛠 Park, Draper, Pedros, Lezyne.

What brand of bike tools do you prefer?

• Park Tools

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • Draper

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Lezyne

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Pedros

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Snap on

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Mix of any old thing

Votes: 9 39.1%

• Total voters
Park Tools is my go to for things that can strip easily, their machining is always pretty good. Cyclus is great too, close to park tools imho. And Unior.

I find that spending the extra money on tools only pays off for delicate bits where not stripping threads and rounding off teeth is important. For other stuff I just get the cheapest Chinese shit and most of it has served me well and it allows me to buy more beer to finish the task.

Additional note (this is bait): Though I tend to get Park Tools I think they are overhyped and overpriced. Some of their really good stuff is rebranded and their run of the mill home use tools are no different than any other decent Taiwanese made tool. And their cultish supporters just lap it up mumbling something incoherent about Murica and quaaaaliiiityyyyyy.

It would be easier to recommend you some specific brands for specific tools that you need. There have been loads of great brand suggestions but there are definitely some that cross over/you wouldn’t use as much so don’t need the pro quality as others have eluded to.

For example - Bahco adjustables already mentioned way better than the Park equivalent. There’s stuff like screwdrivers, t-handle hex wrenches, even spanners, you’d be better off with almost any mainstream tool brand than something that is bike specific in terms of getting the best value.

There’s also some stuff that the only viable supplier will be Park, I needed an extractor for a Regina freewheel recently and the only easily available/best value was Park.

I got a mix of brands. Tools you use alot buy the best one. I've once bought a €60 sram cable cutter for the shop once, now i've got one at home aswell.
Park makes some great tools. They're truing stands are the best I used so far. But for a quick link plier the average stuff will do

When you buy tools for a specific job, it will always be expensive. Clarke and snap on are good because they are very mainstream, they are used for, mostly mechanics stuff but can be used as just general around the house stuff. As said, you wouldn’t use park tools for fixing your boiler😉

I'm not a member of the Park Tool fan club. 30€ for a 1/8" chain whip - they can kiss my arse. Made one in about 20 mins.

I think it's a different matter if you are in the USA. They probably sell Park freewheel removers in supermarkets at the point of sale between the bubble gum and super sized Snickers.

My frequently used tools are all Park, some are over 25 year sold now. For rarely used tools I go with cheaper brands, headset press is a good example when I moved on from wood blocks.

This is worth a read.

https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/pedal-spanners-15mm-17mm-what-works-what-doesnt.299984/

One issue is it depends on what you are using your tools for. If it's to put together a lovely immaculate build with NOS, then you could pretty much get away with any decent made tool. When you get in the game of stripping neglected bikes, lower end bikes which weren't assembled with a lick of grease anywhere or very vintage bikes tooling up with heavy duty stuff is a must.

Another wera fan for drivers and keys....had sets for years, use them on auto as well as bikes....no issues.

Spanners i use britool and kasama mostly for sockets, but mine are all 30+ years old and i understand they are not quite as they were. I have however, oddly, got a 30+ year old set if halfords deep 3/8" sockets and they have also never troubled me, despite being used for work and play.

Saying that i bought some britool expert combination ratchet spanners 6 or 7 years ago and they are great....fine ratchet and nice switching, no issues and only about £15 a go....

I think how you treat tool has a big part to play in their survival though! A screwdriver is just that...its not a punch, chisel, drift or door wedge!

Right tool, right size, right job.

Back