OK, Who bought the very badly listed SBDU from eBay

Re:

It really has taken a while, hasn't it?

Looking forward to some proper pics of it

Re:

Well, it has landed, and was very well packed thankfully, there are no dents, all the threads are good, so just a bit of surface rust and rubs to show for it's age. Here's some pictures of the frameset for you MrW.
It's 56cm C-T seat tube and 55.5cm C-C top tube (which is almost my size :D ), frame weighs 1750g forks 670g.

Matt

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 576
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 576
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 576
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 576
Lovely!

What are your plans for it Matt?

I'm not very up on SBDU frames, but thought that the frame number indicated an early 70's bike, which would mean this has been painted at some point during it's life.

The much later purple 753 decal would also suggest this...

Re:

I'm not really sure yet :D .

It needs a respray, but I've not got the inclination or money to have it put back to the 70's team livery, so maybe a locally sourced single colour respray?.

I think you're right about the age, I've seen some framesets on here and on the net that are close number-wise, and they are attributed to the mid 70's, hopefully someone here will be able to enlighten me further?.

Matt

originalshinkicker on here is something of an SBDU expert, failing which there is the SBDU Yahoo group

Given it's rarity, I would be inclined to go back to original, even if it means waiting until funds permit (if I had won it on eBay then that was my intention)

Even if you went back to TI Red, and got the decals from H Lloyd or similar, it probably wouldn't run into a great deal, and it would mean it had it's identity back.

It has clearly been painted at some point, and the head badge changed, as the one it has didn't appear until the 80's (if you carefully remove it you should find the original rivet holes for the older badge)

YEAR Frame No
1976 500
1977 1200
1978 1900
1979 2800
1980 3500
1981 4100
1982 4900
1983 5500
1984 6300
1985 6900
1986 7700

Above is a rough guestimate so 1977-78 which ties in with the drilled dropouts and the drilled fork tangs. Being an "H" personal order you could persuade SBDU to paint it whatever you liked. Gold, Silver, Blue, Green have all been spotted. There were some muddy brown SBDU frames on e-bay recently, not my personal choice LOL

Shaun

Back