OCD - serious advice needed please

People with suicidal thoughts should really be seen by the local Mental Health Trust Crisis Team........ there should be someone on the end of a phone (CPN) who can help. The other thing is the Samatritans. Finally A&E have Psyc's on call.

Shaun

matthew71":3jn8948j said:
FMJ":3jn8948j said:
. Either way, he needs to see a psychologist. Armchair diagnosis on a bicycle forum isn't the answer.

well put about armchair diagnosis, get him some proper help.not people on here saying my mate down the pub etc , etc

hope it works out for him

Its not armchair diagnosis, the facts and professional diagnoses where given.
All advice so far has been sound and correct and it seems from personal experience. To me it sounds like depression on the surface but OCD has been diagnosed. (Depression possibly being as side effect, doctors will find out
)
All anyone has said is mention the suicidal thoughts/tendencies which changes priority in the counciling , at least in this county.
And/or what might be expected aka CBT/Drugs etc.

None afaik are speaking from Google search on this matter.

FMJ":18epq3ao said:
Sounds more like schizophrenia than OCD. People with OCD tend to do things over and over (check the stove is off or the door is locked a dozen times) or can't rest until things are in (what they consider) order.

Tosh. As said before, that's a tiny aspect of the spectrum of OCD sufferers. My wife is a sufferer, and that's not close to her symptoms!

And again, the answer lies with his GP, and the suicidal thoughts should be mentioned ASAP.

If your friend is actively suicidal, then a referral needs to be made to the local CRHTT (Crisis Resolution and Home Treatment Team). They will be able to offer an immediate intervention and support your friend until the crisis (in this case the suicidal thought) passes.

If your friend is having fleeting suicidal thoughts, but no real suicidal intention (lots of people "think" that they want to commit suicide, but when they actually think about it, there are many protective factors which would prevent them from doing so), then the GP can refer to either the local CMHT (Community Mental Health Team), or the local Primary Care Mental Health Team, depending on the urgency of the intervention required. The CMHT will be able to offer outpatient appointments with a Psychiatrist, as well as prescribe medication and provide the support of a CPN (community psychiatric nurse) if required.

Primary Care is a more routine service and offers a more CBT based approach to treatment, with the focus being on 'self help'. They run groups specifically aimed at people with OCD and this could prove to be just as helpful (if not more so) than medication in the medium and long term as it teaches people how to manage and deal with their symptoms, rather than becoming reliant on medication. CBT does not work for everybody in the same way - some people find it extremely beneficial, whereas others find it of little use.

I work for the Primary Mental Health Support Service (Primary Care) in Cardiff, and my girlfriend works for the South Cardiff Crisis Resolution and Home Treatment team. We would ALWAYS advise that your friend goes to see his GP in the first instance, and explains the issues being faced. If your friend has trouble explaining things to others, then offer to go with him for a bit of moral support. If your friend is having suicidal thoughts then this NEEDS to be brought up with the GP so that they can offer the most relevant support available (even if your friend plays down these thoughts).

The Primary Mental Health Support Service in Cardiff runs an OCD group which is proving to be very well received (I should know as I administer the thing!).

All the best. Mental Health is a difficult thing to deal with but your friend has taken the right first steps by discussing them with you. :)

hey guys. thanks for the concern.

all seems a lot better, it seems this is something that intensifies for a while then dies down.

Things are going well, he is undergoing some cognative behavioural therapy alongside some other lifestyle changes so things seem much more positive now.

sounds stupid but diet helps, lots of water ect, ive been told i have ocd , my mum has ocd but my one gos off an on so dont believe it is somtimes, its not fun hope he gets better soon.

every one has it to a degree just some people are worse than others thats all

Back