NYC Monster... and a bit of a story!

hi guys
sorry for the slow reply - only just saw this thread had been updated!
thanks a lot for all the info raumer - the trixxies definitely look the part for the bike. hard as nails! :D
mickey - great to hear from you as well - i was very excited to hear that spooky was back on its feet. the guy that gave it to me isnt called rob - fella called maze who works for kidrobot in nyc.
i wondered if you could clear up a bit of trivia about the frame actually - is it project x as in the old straight edge band?

kingroon - hopefully it will get built up over the next year or so - gonna take my time and do some proper research. sadly we dont have much room at our place so its a case of stashing random parts around the house until i can find somewhere for it to live!

The name comes from two or three places, one of which is the band. The logo (the monkey in a spacesuit) is from the Matthew Broderick movie of the same name.

hey mickey
thanks for the quick reply! bit of a gorilla biscuits fan so i thought it might have something to do with the band.
do you have any pics of the old graphics? the only ones i could find were side shots of the frame with the normal spooky on the downtube - couldnt see any monkeys. id love to sort out some replacement stickers at some point for it.

When I get into the office on Monday I will dig up the graphics files for you.

I actually have a few of the original project x headtube stickers left. As in less than 10. They are on the shiny prismatic vinyl that we used from '97-'98. The only downtube stickers I have are of later vintage, but I'll see what I can dig up.

rc300":2rnjhglw said:
Talking of Brooklyn. i think my mate Mark is the only consumer to have snapped a TMX............TWICE :shock:

Is his second name 'Weightman'? Only person I know to have done that.

assuming it is, how's he doing anyway? - not seen him for while.

Si F

Awesome! Hmm, specs etc...

I would go with...
-'99 Marzocchi Monster T
-Profile crankset, can actually be had pretty cheap via USA BMX sources like empireBMX.com and such. 5x110 spider and long spindle would have to come from Profile direct, but on the plus side you could also order one of their chainrings with the integrated guard
-Azonic shorty and worldforce bars, still look the same as they did then, available new and bombproof
-Wheelset may be more of an issue...I'd say D521s on Ringle hubs. IRC Kujos or Missiles.
-Pedals..Club Roost, VP batwings etc were popular then, or polished GT DX-copies would be the go.
-Oury grips!
-Hayes mag brakes, really until the stroker they all look the same. Or perhaps XT 4 pots, can't remember when they came about.
-M950/951/952 XTR shortcage mech.
-Seat and post of choice, I'd go a flite myself, buuuut...those godawful tioga things were popular then and can still be found new.

Just going off what I used to see at the races in those days.

hows the build going? i can't wait to see this complete! If you need any parts i have a lot of that period dh stuff.

Hey Bear-Chan,

Very excited about your 'find', I absolutely adore the Project X, my team rode a few way back when here in the UK.

Seriously, consider a contemporary build up with new gear and see what you can do. A top notch paint job, good spec kit and that bike will be seriously hauling some ass, as it was built for. You literally plough straight lines through boulder fields on those bikes. I would love a Project X project to work on myself, I'm rather jealous here! :LOL:

Can you get some new pics up please, I am personally (and I'm sure others are too) very interested to follow this rebuild.

As for Weightman and the Brooklyn, that'll be Mark Weightman :D

Wow

Thats not a bike thats a tank with a few bits missing. I cant wait to see that finished, what a great and slightly quirky project.

Congrats and good luck!

I love Spookys, I have 2 in the works currently, a Darkside, and a Metalhead. I 'm looking for a 1st generation one of these though. Can't wait to see it done.

On a seperate note Mickey has brought back Spooky!!!! Frames are currently avail.

http://www.spookybikes.com/news/

Back