Numpty Drivers!!

Yep, I consider myself a fairly considerate and aware driver. I have been driving 20 years, never been the cause of an accident, but acknowledge that much of that is due to luck.

Perfect example that shock me up recently was coming up to a roundabout and turning left. My car has a renowned large A-pillar and I never saw the cyclist (wearing a fluoro jacket) as his movement on the roundabout was hidden behind the pillar as I turned into the corner. Stopped for another vehicle following him, but was shaken when he appeared - I am normally really anti car drivers that hit cyclists and this would have been totally my fault. I now make a far bigger effort to look around the blind spot when I drive.

I had a close call with a bike last winter coming out of a side turning and he was sideways on to me.

As you say it shakes you up. I tried to stop by the cyclist to apologise to him but he shook his fist at me and uttered a torrent of abuse. Guess he thought I'd stopped to have a go at him.

Taught me a lesson though about being seen from the side and I've bought a spoke light to go on my work bike to ensure that the local drivers can at least see what they are aiming at!

Back