Nigel Dean My Latest Addition

Who makes Boardmans?

Some factory in Taiwan probably like 90% of carbon bikes these days.

Taiwan might be better than China then?
Plenty of entry level BSO stuff from there.

And not just bikes....
My son got an iphone & he thinks it's American hi-tech......
Maybe I should disillusion him?

Theres certainly some nice Nigels Deans kicking about this forum, thats for sure.
Thanks for the link to the YACF thread, a fair bit of info there.
and Viscount, Taiwan is part of China and while 90% of the worlds mass produced bicycles, most from all the leading brands, there are also a lot of mass produced quality steel along with a few low volume high quality builders.

Jamie

....... and Viscount, Taiwan is part of China and while 90% of the worlds mass produced bicycles, most from all the leading brands, there are also a lot of mass produced quality steel along with a few low volume high quality builders.

Jamie[/quote]

Jamie. Just to correct your geographic/political 'facts.'
Taiwan/Taipei/Formosa is NOT part of China.
Citizens of that Republic may well take offence at that description.

Lots of good bike stuff (as well as BSOs) comes out of both currently, but you need to know your facts.
Was a time (in 1970s?) when Japanese was considered 'rubbish' in UK terms. but look at Shimano, etc. now: )
China is now in that same position.
John.

My apologies for the mistake, no offence intended. Mistaken due to ' Republic of China' as opposed to, the 'Peoples Republic of China'. My mistake.
As for BSO's and quality the same did and does come out of Britain and most other countries that manufacture on any scale. Covers all sections of the market then.

Jamie

Bought my Nigel Dean Radius 531 Reynolds , last year for €50 off an advert site locally ( similar to gumtree) . Not knowing any history's of ND, just bought it mainly for frame. But turned out nice bike with all matching 105 gear on mavic rims. Great to hear some positive stories to the name behind it

I had a Nigel Dean 708 race bike built for me back in the 90's .... pretty light and quick. Might have a few pics of it ... will have a look and post em if I have ..

I worked for them on assembly in the early 90's, after Nigel had left, but a few of the workers carried it on as a Co-operative in the Barton upon Humber factory. At that time we also made frames for Geoff Wiles, FW Evans and Geoff Butler. Ray Brown who was a reasonably talented rider in his earlier years was one of the 753 Master frame builders.

Re:

Ron Kitching marketed ND's back in the day (mentioened previously on this thread); have several RK catalogues with ND's featured.

Jon.

N.B ND built frames for Geoffrey Butler cycles in Croydon - so who were the builders at ND's (apart from the aforementioned Ray Brown) ?

Back