Nigel Dean My Latest Addition

biggs682

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
My latest addition is this 90's ?? Nigel Dean road bike . Its Reynolds 531c frameset and forks so fairly light and feels nice enough to ride at just over walking pace around the cul de sac !

Its equipped with original 105 running gear so must have been fairly costly when new

Its been hanging unused for last 5+ years in the previous owners garage so until it gets some tlc i didnt want to go to mad on its trial ride .

Its got a small dent in the top tube along with some crusty areas under the brake cable which i am hoping might clean up .

Very little info on the net re Dean bikes so any help offered will be welcome

unsure if its a keeper or not yet wont know for sure till its had some tlc and miles

Attachments

• dean.jpg
    dean.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 1,915
nice find i always liked his font.there was a post here about them selling frames to condor for them
to re badge and sell.they do crop up on ebay now and again so i've always wondered about
their history and location too.
another builder's name i had forgotten about which came up on e bay the other, 'peter batten'
who i believe used to trade not far from me.

Re:

A Nigel Dean was my first 'proper' road bike when I was 14. Same frame as yours but in a met green and ice blue single fade. That had 105sc kit throughout and I seem to recall that it cost around £350 in 92, so £655 in today's money.

there must be some history...was nigel dean a racer ?
nigel dean was an ex pro racer i believe from the north east.
he traded for 10 years in the 80/s and 90/s.
he built with many types of reynolds tubing inc 753 & 708
when alloy and carbon tubed frames became more popular
than steel in the 90/s he stopped trading.

Re: Re:

LDP":1c6ml64j said:
A Nigel Dean was my first 'proper' road bike when I was 14. Same frame as yours but in a met green and ice blue single fade. That had 105sc kit throughout and I seem to recall that it cost around £350 in 92, so £655 in today's money.

blimey that is cheap in todays terms

all progressing well just short of time but its cleaning up ok , its about half a kilo lighter after cleaning out the rear cassette !

well today saw this get its maiden outing and all went well , its a bit different than the Carlton Corsair i was using before .

biggs682":3bhrvm3p said:
My latest addition is this 90's ?? Nigel Dean road bike. Very little info on the net re Dean bikes so any help offered will be welcome unsure if its a keeper or not yet wont know for sure till its had some tlc and miles

Nigel Dean was a pro racer in the 1980s, at one point he rode with Tony Doyle (I have article and images). Nigel Dean bikes were being retailed by Ron Kitching...they appear in the 1990 RonKit catalogue (I have a copy).

"My latest addition" - are you not a trader biggs682 ?

Roadking.

roadking":215xcf4f said:
biggs682":215xcf4f said:
"My latest addition" - are you not a trader biggs682 ?

Roadking.

trader is a strong word , yes i buy and sell a few bikes but they are all given a chance to ride themselves in to the keeping section of the garage

Back