Nigel Dean My Latest Addition

Re:

Nigel Dean bikes were/are worth looking at I say.

This was too small for me unfortunately, & my then GF, so I sold it.
Makes me a dealer also?

Don't know who made it, but it's nice.

Re:

Definitely, but as you said, little known. (& therefore under-respected)
I always relished variety.

Many machines come into this category & when I lived in Coventry I had many local builders bicycles through my hands.

Pollard in particular. So under-rated & so nice.

This one is quite a rarity. Now owned by a certain V-CC member in the NE.

Another here.

Super machines, but who knows anything about them?

Sorry, don't mean to hijack your thread, but they illustrate a point.

Nigel Dean originally came from the Isle of Man and moved to Liverpool in the mid/late 60's. I seem to remember he rode for the Kirby CC and possibly also Wrekinsport CC. I rode several road races in the 60's with him in the field - and he usually won! He later turned pro and rode for Falcon before retiring to start his own bike business. I'm sure there must have been some connection with Falcon and Frank Clements in Brigg over frame production at some time but, last time I saw him I asked him whether he had his own production facilities - and I can't remember what he said!!

His bikes were usually decent MOR machines of good quality.

Old Ned":1c3ud9i1 said:
His bikes were usually decent MOR machines of good quality.

Yes, I've got a rather nice Campag equipped Nigel Dean Radius, circa 1990, which I use on the turbo-trainer.

Whilst looking through some memorabilia recently I came across a programme for the Hertford Criteriums held on 7th July 1974 and Nigel Dean was riding for the professional Holdsworth/Campagnolo team.......can't remember who won though!

I also came across a menu/invite for the Verulam Cycling Club dinner and dance back in November 1975....and the guest speaker was: Nigel Dean!

If memory serves I saw Nigel Dean riding the Skol 6 back in 1978.... Seemed pretty good on the track for a road man :)

Shaun

If memory serves I saw Nigel Dean riding the Skol 6 back in 1978.... Seemed pretty good on the track for a road man :)

Shaun

Good to see some details of Nigel Dean.
I've done no research on him personally, but there are many 'names' in this category.
Sid Mottram comes to mind here. (from an earlier generation admittedly) Some of his were made by Wally Green & Mercian, quality machines I'd say. I happen to have a very nice road/path of his currently.
But who made Nigel Deans?

Further, who makes Boardmans? 'Inspired by' Chris Boardman (has his name attached) is the current hype.
Bit like Ernie Clements who was 'associated' with Falcon at the time. ('Designed by' Ernie C, but made in a factory using his good name to sell the product)

Decals do not a bike maketh.....?

Back