'91 Stumpjumper Time Warp Classic....

Well that's just lovely! I especially enjoyed the close up pics during the refurb. The grips don't do it for me but the colour match can't be argued :)

Or also screwfix degreaser does the trick too but keep it away from tyre logos and use it diluted.
Same with the oven cleaner, logos will vanish if not carefully applied. And I´d recommend a good feed with tire reconditioner afterwards. Man I´m sounding like a host of home order TV😝

Great stuff!
Having just done a very similar process with a '94 Stumpy it's always enjoyable to work on something in good condition, and get it back to tip-top order. :cool:

Very nice Stumpy, I think this model is one of the all time classics.
Don´t know if thats your thing or that important, but you can clean up the tire sidewalls (a bit more, I mean they look good as is) with oven cleaner. Gets rid of the sometimes embedded chain oil residues. Just make sure you remove them off the rims, oven cleaner eats aluminium.
Very nice Stumpy, I think this model is one of the all time classics.
Don´t know if thats your thing or that important, but you can clean up the tire sidewalls (a bit more, I mean they look good as is) with oven cleaner. Gets rid of the sometimes embedded chain oil residues. Just make sure you remove them off the rims, oven cleaner eats aluminium.
Cheers, yes I had a go at the tyre walls but only with mild detergent and warm water and a fine brush…. I was a bit reluctant to try anything aggressive as the last thing I wanted to do was dry out or damage the sidewalls as they are still really supple 👍

Well that's just lovely! I especially enjoyed the close up pics during the refurb. The grips don't do it for me but the colour match can't be argued :)
They are Specialized grips but the previous owner had fitted them at some point in the past… colour match ok but I’m still in the hunt for some nice original understated ones 👍

You can never have too many pics in a rebuild/refurb. Thanks so much for sharing. :cool:

A friend had this exact model, and another who had a 1990 white Stumpjumper Comp. Lovely frames and seeing yous brings back great memories from riding with them back then! 😁👌

@abr303 you used to work at Steve's Cycles in Bangor? I don't know whether to curse or commiserate 🤣 Some of my worst bike shop experiences ever were at Steve's. Still not quite as entertaining as those with Mike's Bikes in Upper Bangor.

@abr303 you used to work at Steve's Cycles in Bangor? I don't know whether to curse or commiserate 🤣 Some of my worst bike shop experiences ever were at Steve's. Still not quite as entertaining as those with Mike's Bikes in Upper Bangor.
Mikes Bikes…. What a character! Saw him once tell off a customer that you don’t come into his shop to browse… you come to buy and on that note the poor guy did an about face straight back out the front door 🤣
As for Steve’s…. I was rarely in the shop itself but worked from a separate workshop/warehouse situated round the back of the premises and got to play and fettle with lots sexy bikes 🥰 He was a bit of character too… had his fingers in all kinds of pies…. He even had blagged me into being his mic guy for when he would film private weddings for people… not something I like to brag about 🤣🤣

Back