Next direction for Holdsworth Mistral

Hi all,
Quick update -
Had a bit of a road test. Need to add the mudguards and touring rack.
And still working on the rim / tyre conundrum, so the modern ones are on for the time being.
Some Before After pics below. Shout if you see anything that just isn't the done thing.
Thanks
MM

Attachments

• bike8.jpg
    bike8.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 533
  • bike6b.jpg
    bike6b.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 533
  • bike2.jpg
    bike2.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 533
Re:

Not sure what you were trying to achieve with this, period restoration or restoration with a modern twist; to my mind you've achieved neither - sorry.

Wrong typeface (decals) for a start, you've gone to the expense of a repaint but those decals are not good...I'd have contrasted the cable outers with the lettering (i.e black); white on white doesn't work for me, and the cables are all a little on the long side. And gum hoods with that bar tape.

No offence intended, but I am a fussy b****r.

Jon.

Re: Re:

Thanks Jon, no issue with the feedback, it's fine

Don't know if you saw the earlier posts, but project was originally to learn a bit about bike mechanics primarily and take a first attempt at a restoration.

roadking":3uphzg6h said:
Not sure what you were trying to achieve with this, period restoration or restoration with a modern twist; to my mind you've achieved neither - sorry.

If by modern twist, you mean the wheels, then they're not supposed to be permanent. I've had issues with the original 27 1/4 inch rims. Have tried 2 sets of tyres now and I cannot get them to sit in the wheel. It's as if they are too big. They are definitely 630 and not 622 rims. Even if I managed to get them on, I would be sceptical about them staying on or being able to get them back on if there was a puncture. So the black wheels are just a stop-gap.

Decals, they were for the mistral, not sourced off ebay. You're correct re: the font - it doesn't appear as lean as the original. This has got a darker outline vs. the original black with white outline. So that doesn't help as it looks a lot thicker.
Paint job wasn't that bad - guy next door runs a coachworks and he did it over time.

Suppose it boils down to what I want to outlay for the project at the end of the day...
it was a mish-mash of parts originally, mountain bike bars, levers, groupset etc.
It's been nice to do something up, and learn about it, but for that bike - getting it bang-on - it can't be the be all and end all. Hence sitting tight on the wheels until... I can get tyres to sit tight. (that said, most of the components are of the period).

Anyway, no offense taken - hope the detail helps give some context.
MM

Re:

I have a mid 1970s Mistral*; decals with the correct typeface are available, it's a shame as you've made a decent effort of restoring it.

Plus Mistral frames are very good.

Jon.

*one of many not in my sig'.

Re:

I think you've done it proud even if there's a few things I would have done different, but I'm no purist. I like the colour but I always think the Holdsworth decals on seat and down tube look a bit shouty especially in such a bold font; I'd have left off one or the other. Looks like it had a dent in the top tube, how did you deal with that? Also I'm intrigued by the black finished brakes, are they Mafacs? I've never seen centrepulls in anything other than plain alloy, I'm a bit jealous of those.
William.

Cheers William, much appreciated.

Brakes are Gran-Compe. Have attached some pics from when I was stripping the bike down and cleaning it.

I'll see if I can get a decent shot of the decals / font for the next update.
Though, I reckon it won't matter as seen from a distance it would look relatively similar to how it is rendered on the attached pics.
I'll put them down to experience!

What's the etiquette when it comes to cable length etc?
It was sticking up a bit under the saddle / end of the top tube and I've done my best to get it to lie straight. Are they a wee bit too high over the bars?

Thanks again
MM

Attachments

• brake.jpg
    brake.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 498
Well Done. That's a massive improvement on what you started with and I expect you've learned a bit along the way, especially if this is your first restoration?

The main things are that you enjoy restoring and riding it. Nothing else matters.

Re:

If you are guilty of an infraction it is a minor one- I won't be alerting the cable length authorities.. who could just as readily come knockin' at my door.. :)
My rule of thumb is; 'a bit higher than the saddle', but my saddle is a few inches higher than my bar tops. Talking of saddles, most people find saddles function best horizontally or slightly nose-up.

From what I can see, I'd say you could stand to lose an inch or so off the front brake outer cable, which looks to 'loop' a bit higher than the rear, but it might just be the photo angle? For my money you could shorten the loop of outer cable at the rear derailleur as well.

You did ask.. :)

Thank you!
Next time I'm pottering, I'll grab the cable cutters and give it a small haircut!

MM

torqueless":3a3lc61q said:
If you are guilty of an infraction it is a minor one- I won't be alerting the cable length authorities.. who could just as readily come knockin' at my door.. :)
My rule of thumb is; 'a bit higher than the saddle', but my saddle is a few inches higher than my bar tops. Talking of saddles, most people find saddles function best horizontally or slightly nose-up.

From what I can see, I'd say you could stand to lose an inch or so off the front brake outer cable, which looks to 'loop' a bit higher than the rear, but it might just be the photo angle? For my money you could shorten the loop of outer cable at the rear derailleur as well.

You did ask.. :)

yorkie1956":fdzbx0rm said:
Well Done. That's a massive improvement on what you started with and I expect you've learned a bit along the way, especially if this is your first restoration?

The main things are that you enjoy restoring and riding it. Nothing else matters.

Cheers Dennis - yes, first one and still learning!
Have a fairly decent modern road bike and thought it was a bit ridiculous that I didn't know how to maintain some bits or was reluctant to make adjustments, so this exercise has been quite good as regards learning about mechanics and giving a bit of confidence.
Picked up an old 1956 Dawes en route, originally to cannibalise for parts, but looks like it is mainly original. It won't require so many new parts. That will be the next project. Again, just for fun more than anything else.
Thanks for the support
MM

Back