Holdsworth , Dia Compe Royal Gran Compe

squirrelchaser

Old School Grand Master
I took the "antlers" off the Holdsworth(?) . It was supposed to be a commuter but never really was and I don't commute at all any more so not much point . Pointless antlers . IMG_20230318_122007_536.jpg This is how it was , many sins .
In the process of dismantling I rediscovered just how badly rounded the head of the pinch bolt was on the rear mech which was a shame because I had planned to keep it all Suntour with a set of Suntour Symmetric levers that I wanted to try . Turns out there was a hair line crack in the band on them too .
So I made a cuppa and scratched my head while staring at broken bits I'd been saving . The bars and stem were now off and my plan was redundant.
The only other band on levers I had were Campag and the only other (more or less) adequate derailleurs were Rally's .
In for a penny , in for a pound . I'd no alternative so nothing to lose . I found a N R front mech to go with it , tired but serviceable.
The bars were donated from the Jackson which has had its own inappropriate horns/ears replaced with something more suitable.

IMG_20230305_155610_555.jpg
As it was....
It then occurred to me that , as the Mercian now has its own wheels , there was a spare pair of Record on Mavic ma2 I could use .
And finally I have a place for the Royal Compe levers .
The old tape will do for now , it had muscle memory like Keith Moons drinking arm and virtually put itself back on .😃
I think the cables could do with a slight trim and it would be better still with Cinelli 64s but this is a vast improvement. IMG_20230402_164700_298.jpg IMG_20230402_164523_152.jpg

The bb was a pig and I can't feel the ends of my fingers properly but , the Strada triple is on . I had to use a 2.5 mm shim as the inner ring just touched the chainstay . The bb was no less a pig the second time around but , it all works as it should . Obviously using a modern chain and sprockets improves the shifting but I'm surprised how well it all functions . I put a new cage on the front mech and it still struggles , but works .
I think it needs 28c tyres though it can probably squeeze 38s in .
I have a set of Record calipers that could go on but I like the centre pulls , not sure . P1060363.JPG P1060365.JPG

Back