new project: 1936 professional racing bike

Now I'm tempted to put some color with the bar tape and cable housing, I like Big Block's pic. Maybe just crazy Friday afternoon thoughts but I'll play a little bit with handlebar tape colours, housings,...
remember that the bike pictured is a 1946 frame. Coloured bar tape was documented in the catalogues. I also wanted some colour as I explained during the project build. The yellow colour is also repeated in the Dare yellow handlebar sleeves. I regularly use the period bikes in the SpeedBicycles site for ideas.
This example has, what appears to be, original cables outers. The wound wire sleeve is evident where the smooth coloured exterior has cracked and fallen off on the gear cable, but the brake cable is reasonably intact.

Thanks guys, very helpful the pics. Seems then the most period correct would be the coild steel housing. The ones from Velo Orange are available, but look different. Now I'm tempted to put some color with the bar tape and cable housing, I like Big Block's pic. Maybe just crazy Friday afternoon thoughts but I'll play a little bit with handlebar tape colours, housings,...

In the meantime, here it is a pic of the bottom bracket oil port. That's what they call these bikes hand build!

View attachment 603110
Did you see both Velo Orange housings? One is way off, the other is close, better as it’s stainless.

I’m not sure what you’re after, but it sounds like you’re after cloth covered cables? If you are, how about taking the woven cloth cover off cloth covered electrical cord, which is available on the internet. 2302CC19-D676-44CB-B5B6-CF1EE1B8B8EF.jpeg They also make rope with woven cotton covers. You would have to figure out how to remove the core but my round boot laces with a woven cover have become frayed and I removed the inside. Just a crazy idea from an idle mind. Maybe a boot lace woven cover could even be stretched to fit? A810078F-F9EF-4780-A711-DFE2E050533E.jpeg

Some of my bikes from even the 50s had cloth covers on the cable housings, most had coiled steel covers, assuming that was original. Velo Orange used to make two different styles of coiled steel cable and housings. I’m not sure if they are available.

Here is an original coiled housing on an old Phillips brake, but im not sure of the age. It could be 30s to 50s.

View attachment 603070
Here is the Velo Orange cable housing.

View attachment 603071
That's a wonderful bike! Chapeau:cool:

While waiting for the handlebar tape and cable housing to arrive I've build a coil myself for the front tension arm as the bike came without.

I've used 2.5 mm steel wire , pliers and a big bolt with a matching diametre to roll the coils around. It took me a few attempts to get the desired shape but I guess the end result will work as it produces a nice tension.

At the end I've just burned it in oil to remove this new & shinny look .

IMG_20220222_215131.jpg IMG_20220222_215841.jpg

Last edited:
I’m not sure what you’re after, but it sounds like you’re after cloth covered cables? If you are, how about taking the woven cloth cover off cloth covered electrical cord, which is available on the internet.View attachment 603185 They also make rope with woven cotton covers. You would have to figure out how to remove the core but my round boot laces with a woven cover have become frayed and I removed the inside. Just a crazy idea from an idle mind. Maybe a boot lace woven cover could even be stretched to fit?

One other approach might to be to use D12 Dyneema. It's a spliceable rope used for boats, but its a woven tube. Squeeze it up and it goes hollow, allowing a cable outer to be fitted up it. Generally it's in plain colours, black, grey etc.
This stuff:

The tension arm should goas close to the bottom bracket as possible.
Most Pros would have the arm o a brazed on piece under the bottom bracket.
Keith

Braided cotton sleeve is available in various sizes colours and patterns, usually intended for use on classic car looms but not restricted to that - I've used it to give an 'antique' appearance to lamps that I've restored with modern PVC coated cables.

Thanks everybody for the good advice on cable housing and awesome pics!.

I've been thinking a lot on this and I've ended up with the easy option: modern red brake housing and cotton handlebar wrapping without shellack. The good thing is that both reds, housing and cotton handlebar tape, are really a match, not too bright. The maybe more period correct naked steel brake housing is just impossible to get (the VeloOrange one is pretty close though). I can always replace it in the future if I find something better, but I like how it shows up. It seems color housings were also an option in the 40's, either plastic or cotton braided ones....

For the shifting, I'm planning to go either with the same housing in red (yes, using the same 5 mm housing) or just remowing the plastic cover and leaving it naked. I've tryied in a small piece with a cutter removing the outer plastic cover and looks nice too. I bought a couple of red shift housing cables but colors were different ...

IMG_20220226_134839.jpg IMG_20220226_134848.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220226_134816.jpg
    IMG_20220226_134816.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20220226_134856.jpg
    IMG_20220226_134856.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20220226_134911.jpg
    IMG_20220226_134911.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 8

I've been thinking a lot on this and I've ended up with the easy option: modern red brake housing and cotton handlebar wrapping without shellack. The good thing is that both reds, housing and cotton handlebar tape, are really a match, not too bright. The maybe more period correct naked steel brake housing is just impossible to get (the VeloOrange one is pretty close though). I can always replace it in the future if I find something better, but I like how it shows up. It seems color housings were also an option in the 40's, either plastic or cotton braided ones....

For the shifting, I'm planning to go either with the same housing in red (yes, using the same 5 mm housing) or just remowing the plastic cover and leaving it naked. I've tryied in a small piece with a cutter removing the outer plastic cover and looks nice too. I bought a couple of red shift housing cables but colors were different ...

View attachment 607019View attachment 607020
I used quick setting clear epoxy on three bikes with cotton tape. Without a protectant the tape gets ugly dirty, especially with field repairs. I sanded my first one as I put on too much epoxy. A very light coat worked in is all it takes.

View attachment 607019View attachment 607020
looks really great

Back