new project: 1936 professional racing bike

jordic1968

Retro Guru
I was more a guy spending time with my loved Pinarellos from the 90's and doing some neo-retro stuff but some time ago I just began to feel attracted by older bikes and bits (let's say before the 70's) .

I started to buy (can't say collect) just to have some purpose investigating and learning from those "early" days . And also tired of the "everybody has or is looking for" Campagnolo bits or Colnago alike bikes. Did you know the Tour de France of 1936 was done with a single gear and freewheel ? Three speed innovation, first gear shifting systems, Simplex patents, the startings of Campagnolo!, a lot (to me) of unknown brands and riders .... Can you check older pics of these riders in action and you will suffer along !

Now here it is my recent aquisition. From what I know it was a Spanish professional rider's bike and I would date it from 1936. It has Bowden brakes (did you know Bowden invented the internal cable & external housing braking transmission system used nowadays?), Super Riviera stem and a 3 speed Super Champion ("Osgear") Professionnel shifting system. Three speed indexed shifting , back in 1936!!!

Some pieces are missing and wheels need to be replaced but it's a nice restoration project ahead. This bike deserves it. Any information to help me about or any info on this period bikes will be much appreciated. I'll keep posting restoration progress!!

IMG_20220131_114226.jpg IMG_20220131_114247.jpg IMG_20220131_114301.jpg IMG_20220131_114317.jpg IMG_20220131_114356.jpg IMG_20220131_114914.jpg

You have the Pro version Super Champion. Not indexed, with the very short movement of the cable you could run any gear in any of the holes on the lever. You also have the device for reducing the tension on the chain. If you want to use this just put an old gear roller in the tension arm, make something to keep the chain on, put the rear wheel in the forward location, then adjust the changing device as near to the cogs as you can and apply a little bending where necessary.
To change gear you would move the lever quickly well past the next gear position to flick the chain over then select whichever or any hole in the lever.

I used one of these 5 speed in 1950, and soon found the main problem. It is much better to feed the chain on to the cogs in line. In the late 30s it was a vast improvement on changing the rear wheel round.

I am also probably the last person alive to have used the Campagnolo Paris Roubaix back pedal gear changer in a genuine road race.

You have a real retro bike there, in wonderful condition.

Keith

I just need to say that bike is something else.. some of the detail is just magnificent in my eyes.. A great project, and (to me) such a shame you're going to change the wheels..

Its possible the original wheels would have been wood. The best wood rims were French. made of American maple, with perhaps 4 laminations, and were nearly indestructible. Weight around 16 ounces.

Pro riders usually had the tension arm on a brazed on piece under the bottom bracket. I would have set the clipon arm you have as close to the lug as possible.

Keith

Thank you guys for all that nice feedback. It is really a privilege to have people like @keythglos with first hand experience sharing his knowledge here. I can't be more excited to start !

Coming to the wheels, not sure I'll go with wooden rims or alu ones; I believe both options should be ok and that will probably depend on what I will find around when time arrives. The thing is to replace current Zeus hubs (probably from the 80's)

As guiding principles for this project I will keep the old "patina" while making it fully rideable again. That means no repaints at all, no big polishes, just very very careful cleaning, full overhaul to the last bolt and nut, regrease, adjust, a little bit of wax on the frame to protect it ... A video showing how gear shifting worked back in the 30's should be a nice goal .

Next chapter: the saddle (let's start with the easy things not to mess it up too much before I can gather several boxes to store all the pieces with some order ;)

Attachments

• IMG_20220201_131744.jpg
    IMG_20220201_131744.jpg
    358.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20220201_131829.jpg
    IMG_20220201_131829.jpg
    371 KB · Views: 7
Back