Colnago Super 1977 project

jordic1968

Retro Guru
Hi
I'm starting a new project. I bought a "new bike", got tempted because it was my size, and just stripped it all down and cleaned the frame. Only period correct left was the headset ;) rest were really modern components but I already have some campy parts waiting for a project like this so let's go!

Here the frame and headset. Not in super - top condition but not bad either. Removed little bit of rust and protected with spray wax. Wheel set is not the right one. I have a spare set but resulting to be 130mm rear spaced so will have to source for the right ones... Anyone interested to flip let me know !

Frame looks to be from 1977 (I'm not an expert on Colnago's, so I'd appreciate any comment on that) as brake nuts are not recessed. There is a portacatena hole.

IMG_20230705_190153.jpg

Here the parts I've managed to collect. Some I already had from years ago (like the SR pat 77 rear derailleur :) others just bought now like the saddle , handlebar and the bottom bracket.

When I bought the bike I though it dated from 1978-79, so I purchased the wider 115 mm bottom bracket ( +1 - +1.5 ) that comes with the 78 onwards FD with the lip, but if the frame is from 1977, I guess the correct FD is the one without lip (this one I had lucky me) but I should purchase the 113 mm spindle. Another part to source....

IMG_20230706_121024_1.jpg

Crankset and brake levers are from the mid 80's but that will work to me. Not pretty sure about this newer cranks with the 113 mm spindle but we'll see!!!

I have a pair of large flange Record on Mavic red label sprint rims complete with tubs . Stunning condition.
£180 pair. Free wheel included.
Circa mid 70s

Think the closest you'll get with this is 'probably' 1977. Part way through 1978 Colnago started building frames with fittings for recessed brake bolts so it's no later than 78. Part way through 1977 the company adopted the 'short' 1010/b Campagnolo rear dropouts so it's unlikely to be a 76.
Where early frames are concerned any stamped numbers are usually just a size identfier rather than any sort of dateable serial.
An oddity that caught my eye is the colour mis-match between seat tube and down tube decals - I'd expect both to be the same colour. Its not something I recall having seen before but considering the quantity of Colnago frames produced there are thousands of examples which I've never seen.

Thanks for the feedback. Taking into account the RD is pat77, should it better be build then with no-lip FD, straight skeewers and "short" pre 78 spindle then ?

Luckily, I was just speaking with Greg in Austin about colnago decals. He says pre-80s bikes they were surface mounted, not under the clear coat so you should be able to remove one or the other and correct.

Others are right about the pre-1978/post-1978 safety nonsense on the components, but unless your goal it to win silly contests instead of ride the damn thing and be happy, I wouldn't worry about it.
Robert
Portland Oregon

Thanks for the feedback. No clue yet what will be the final result , not in a hurry as need to sell some other stuff to get funding but again I'm learning a lot on bottom brackets and pre-post 78 stuff.

Just bought a pre-78 titanium spindle (113 mm for italian) but came with steel record cups. Spindle needs 14 3/16" balls and cups 11 1/4" balls so bad luck!

Who said restoring an old bike was boring?

Here the 2 BB:
IMG_20230710_202052_1.jpg

This skeewer has a straight lever and the closed C, and this brass "thing" that is key. (like old 50's-60's gran sport) . So dated between 1963 and 1977, but can anyone help me to be more precise please ? trying to see if it matches the colnago super but I'm affraid more late 60's than late 70's...

brass skewer.png

Back