New Powdercoat with Issues - how to remove excess paint?

And I gave it to them with EVERY thread blanked, they must have taken them out before applying paint...

Sharp knife certainly to define your limits, otherwise the paint will chip off or flake like b*ggery!

As I don't know much about the process, do any coaters use some kind of primer?

I ask because when I used to coat stuff at school( yes, I did say 'school!' We had powder coating facilities in the Metalwork workshop. Grammar School education and all that... :eek: ) it used to be nigh on indestructible; can't say the same for even my own frames these days?

Commiserations, I had a very poor experience with Revill Industrial Finishes in Exeter with my Orange Clockwork.Took mine to 1st Choice Finishes,also in Exeter who did a cracking job at a reasonable price.Next up is a Cannondale and that will definitely go to 1st Choice.

There is a thread on this forum re painters,would help if you add your experiences to that.

1st choice was only £30 or so more expensive I think. Would have been well worth it.

Least I know for future reference.

frank.youngman":jwkdr5y5 said:
Commiserations, I had a very poor experience with Revill Industrial Finishes in Exeter with my Orange Clockwork.Took mine to 1st Choice Finishes,also in Exeter who did a cracking job at a reasonable price.Next up is a Cannondale and that will definitely go to 1st Choice.

There is a thread on this forum re painters,would help if you add your experiences to that.

I have added them to the thread.

Coomber, I'm suffering the same affliction as you... :(

Had my 701LX frame powdercoated Olive Green and is was a poor job - seatpost now won't fit in, nor will headset, bottom bracket area same as yours, brake bosses, can barely get the rear wheel on either due to the thickness of the PC etc etc

A big, gloopy drop on the top tube as well...

Avoid BIRKENHEAD POWDER COATINGS :? They also lost a stem which turned up weeks later though..

It's still salvagable - will prob get it blasted and start again...... this time using a Pro

Matty

Dossa, souns like mine. Haven't tried putting a wheel in but wouldn't be surprised if that was the same on mine.

Just spoken to 1st choice finishes in Exeter (who have previously been recommended on here). They said they would have charged about £60 all in anyway.

Now have to decide against paying that, in which case I would then have paid over £110 for a cheap build to get powdercoated, or just putting up with what I have.

Deflating.

Grim....

My only options are:

1) Karma it on here

2) Spend more dosh on it getting it re done properly

3) Spend an age with the stanley knife, sand paper, re tapping threads etc etc

4) chuck it

:facepalm:

Dossa":2bl4l3fb said:
Grim....

My only options are:

1) Karma it on here

2) Spend more dosh on it getting it re done properly

3) Spend an age with the stanley knife, sand paper, re tapping threads etc etc

4) chuck it

:facepalm:

Exactly the same as me. Think I am going to give it a go with the stanley knife and sand paper, if that doesn't work then get it done properly. I sent ICS another email and they said they need to have a look at it, but they wont rectify it for a free or reduced rate, so would rather save the petrol money and go elsewhere.

I was charged £50 to shot blast off Revill's paint and re-paint in Pure Orange.I think this is more than people in more populated regions pay,but fairly typical of Devon.Best of all I am always in and around Exeter so no carriage or travel costs.

Back