New Powdercoat with Issues - how to remove excess paint?

That's my issue, it will cost me a tenner in petrol to drop it off and the same to pick it back up. Exeter is more accessable. ICS charged me £45 plus VAT for frame, forks and stem, so not a lot in it.

I will probably go down the 1st choice finishing route, although the forks are ok, might end up with a different colour frame and stem as that is where the issue lies.

Update on 1st Choice Finishes.I took my Cannondale 3.0 series frame and forks in today and asked for a quote for powder coating in yellow.The answer was a cool £70 plus VAT ie £84.I walked and I am now resuming my quest for a reasonably priced and adequate quality powder coater in Devon.

At the quoted price I could have posted it off up country and still saved money.When I queried the price having only paid £50 for my Orange in February the guy said costs had increased since then!

Hmm.. seems a little expensive, but then they do a decent job.

As for mine, cheap at 45 + VAT = £54, but its with the local bike shop getting chased and reamed to clear the errors, so wont be that much cheaper once I pay them, plus I have the actual poor finish to contend with anyway (uneven, not even sand blasted properly).

If it's local I would say that's ok.

Revell (?) by Exeter airport are also meant to be amazing, but they will be nearer £100 I think.

It was Revill who did a crap job on my Orange,which I then took to 1st Choice to rectify.

The problem with all of this is that the average retro bike is not worth a lot if you were to re-sell it and you can end up shelling out a shed load of cash you could never recover.In this instance the frame has already been shot blasted and primed for wet paint,so I think I will just rattle can a coat of yellow on it and then a coat or two of clear lacquer.The usual argument against this approach is that the cost of the cans is near to the cost of powder coating,but thanks to Devon prices this does not apply in this case.

Fair enough, didnt realise you had a bad experience with Revill. It's not hard to get it right is it, what are they all playing at?!

If it's ready to go why not look at car sprayers? They could do a nice finish and clearcoat it for a cheaper price.

Sorry to hear about powdercoating woes - and sorry it's happened to some of my devon brethren (I am from near Tavistock).

For what it's worth - I got a 753 frame sprayed by my neighbour for £50. He normally does cars and he got a good finish, but because it's car paint it's just not very robust. It's flaking off in places - I haven't been very careful with it but an OEM paint job would have fared much better.

So for my sins I'm repainting my Technium project (the steel bits) with white appliance epoxy paint (it was originally white anyway). Learning as I go but at least I'm in charge of the result. The paint was recommended by someone on here, sorry can't remember who...

Definitely spent £50 on materials - 2x cans primer, 2x cans topcoat, wet and dry, tack cloth etc. But at least I have those left for next time, if there is a next time!

Probably been said :)
A given is the powder coater doesnt know he's not supposed to cover everything because you didnt tell him.
Brake pivots should have been covered with tape and all bolts removed and their holes blocked :? i thought that would be a given.
As to getting the stuff off then i suggest running a tap through the threaded bits(obvious i know :LOL:) and cutting back all other parts very carefully with a very sharp knife.
To save on any accidents wrap tape many times around the finish near to the parts you will be cutting/ scraping back. This will prevent any damage from a sudden slip :?

Back