Sold Bontrager Privateer S Frame and Fork

August Bicycles

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I bought this Bontrager Privateer S frame and rigid steel fork a while ago with intentions of doing a bit of a restomod/commuter build with it. I believe it is a size Large.

Real life means I've been far too busy to do much with it and I've realised that the future doesn't hold much spare time either, so I'm putting it up for sale.

I believe it to be a 1996 model with a 1" head tube and the optional rigid TIG welded fork. It comes with a Titec seat post that is nice and free in the seat tube. The original Tange headset is also included, but could do with some TLC.

Paint isn't great, it could do with a fresh paint or powdercoat and new decals to get it looking awesome again. I stripped some paint in places to check for potential pinholes caused by rust, but everything looks to be solid. The wishbone cap was pretty rusted, I was going to braze a boss into the cap to allow mudguards to be fitted, but I ended up removing the thin and pitted cap and made a machined stainless part with internal thread for mudguard mounting that has been silver soldered into place. The anti-chainsuck plate is missing, In its place I have a custom made bracket to secure the lower front end of a mudguard in place.

I'm asking £125 including shipping within the UK. If this pricing is way off, let me know and I can amend.

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_6218 copy.jpg
    IMG_6218 copy.jpg
    540.3 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_6220 copy.jpg
    IMG_6220 copy.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_6219 copy.jpg
    IMG_6219 copy.jpg
    373.8 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_6221 copy.jpg
    IMG_6221 copy.jpg
    330.9 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_6222 copy.jpg
    IMG_6222 copy.jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_6223 copy.jpg
    IMG_6223 copy.jpg
    402.3 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Possible project - what size headtube does this Privateer have 1” or 1 1/8”

If 1 1/8” what would price be frame only ? - like the frame mods you have done😎

Possible project - what size headtube does this Privateer have 1” or 1 1/8”

If 1 1/8” what would price be frame only ? - like the frame mods you have done😎
Thank you, Its a 1" head tube on this one I'm afraid, I knew I'd miss something from the listing, Will update it now.

Thank you, Its a 1" head tube on this one I'm afraid, I knew I'd miss something from the listing, Will update it now.
No probs…I think it reasonable to assume 1” headset for Bontrager frame… altho’ am not 100% certain but maybe some of the later Privateers may have been 1 1/8”?

GLWS - already have a earlier size L OR-Race model

Back