New guy tire advice

robwizard

Retro Newbie
Hi there. I don't know if this in the right section? Basically I started building a beach cruiser.. bought some 26" 559 tires.. bought some 26x1 3/4" rims.. they will fit right? Both being 26"? How wrong I was..

So anyway I'm wondering if anyone knows a good place to get 26x1 3/4" tires? Preferably whitewall. Apparently Kenda make them but I can't seem to find anywhere to get hold of them.

Cheers :D

Re:

It's a new one on me; surely 26" tyres fit 26" rims, but maybe 26" rims aren't really 26". I've never checked.
Are the tyres too big or too small?

Haha it was news to me too! Basically it something to with the bead seat diameter vs the size of the tire or something? So the outside diameter of the entire wheel and tire is like 26" but the combination of rim and tire (tyre?) can be different if you get me? I think that's it anyway. So I bought Schwalbe returner tires in 26x2.25 or something thinking they would be dead fat.. then 26x1 3/4 rims.. but the metric designation for the tire is like 559 and for the rim it is 571.. I think. So basically the tire won't fit on the rim as it's 22mm too small :(

Re:

Old Schwinns used to have their own size 26" rim and tire, slightly different diameter than the rest of the World's 26" rims-you had to use the Schwinn tire because it was the only one that would fit-don't know if that's your problem, but it occurred to me to share information... :)

I think that pretty much is the problem yeah.. the Schwinn s7 tire I think? I don't have Schwinn rims they are some sort of utility bike rim.. but I think they are the same size as the Schwinn ones. Just gonna have to keep lookin I reckon :(

Back