New build. 1996 Klein Pulse 2

canuckinboston

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi all....its been awhile.

I had a bit of a fright when my Catalyst was stolen about a month ago. Thinking that I would never get it back I started thinking about a new retro build and came across this lovely 1996 Klein Pulse 2 (pre Trek). Slowly accumulating parts for it. Going to go RaceFace for the cranks and headset and XTR 950 for the drivetrain and v brakes. I have some Ringle hubs laced to Mavic 618 rims on the way and I'm probably going to be sprinkling some requisite Syncros bits on this. Also decided on a lovely Rock Shox FSX fork after briefly contemplating a rigid fork.

I almost forgot how spendy this hobby is.... 🤪🤪.

And then after accumulating all of these bits the Police then went and found my Catalyst so now I am in an N+1 situation but I'm not complaining.

BTW Mrs. CanuckinBoston is not amused.

Attachments

• IMG_8044.JPG
    IMG_8044.JPG
    492.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_8045.JPG
    IMG_8045.JPG
    438.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_8046.JPG
    IMG_8046.JPG
    454.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_8047.JPG
    IMG_8047.JPG
    477.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_8048.JPG
    IMG_8048.JPG
    517.2 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Thanks! I will have to bend a bit and go non retro for the saddle as comfort>>>period specific-ness. I'm going to get a Selle Italia SLR Boost (thinking in white) as that's what I have on my road bikes. I had a Flite Titanium for my Catalyst and while it was beautiful to behold it was hella uncomfortable for me. So that will probably be up for sale soon....

Last edited:
Nice one ..have the same hanging here as well. almost finished. I used a MANITOU 4 as suspension fork. Fits super well. Especially the inner stanchions of the fork to the color of the KLEIN font.

Hi all....its been awhile.

I had a bit of a fright when my Catalyst was stolen about a month ago. Thinking that I would never get it back I started thinking about a new retro build and came across this lovely 1996 Klein Pulse 2 (pre Trek). Slowly accumulating parts for it. Going to go RaceFace for the cranks and headset and XTR 950 for the drivetrain and v brakes. I have some Ringle hubs laced to Mavic 517 rims on the way and I'm probably going to be sprinkling some requisite Syncros bits on this. Also decided on a lovely Rock Shox FSX fork after briefly contemplating a rigid fork.

I almost forgot how spendy this hobby is.... 🤪🤪.

And then after accumulating all of these bits the Police then went and found my Catalyst so now I am in an N+1 situation but I'm not complaining.

BTW Mrs. CanuckinBoston is not amused.
Blame the 2 bikes situation on the cops. It´s a twisted logic and it may leave the wife speechless. Worth trying.

Option #1 for wheels: Synergy Xyclones. The build might be a tad too black with the hubs rims and frame (and I was planning on a black Syncros post), although I do have some red Salsa skewers to add a wee bit of colour.....

I have another set of wheels (Mavic 618 with silver Ringle Hubs and silver CBR skewers) en route as another option.....

IMG_8058.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8059.JPG
    IMG_8059.JPG
    692.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Option #1 for wheels: Synergy Xyclones. The build might be a tad too black with the hubs rims and frame (and I was planning on a black Syncros post), although I do have some red Salsa skewers to add a wee bit of colour.....

I have another set of wheels (Mavic 618 with silver Ringle Hubs and silver CBR skewers) en route as another option.....

View attachment 752814
Proprietary everything on these wheels... i rather play w/ standard stuff.

Back