Klein Pulse Comp

Davedeed

Retro Newbie
Klein Pulse Comp.jpg

I bought this bike when I was 16, which shows my age, as I'm pretty certain it was 1997. It was much loved for several years, but life moved on and I'm afraid it has been in a barn for too long.
I found it again last year and did the minimum to get it running again, new cables and some new, semi appropriate tyres. She is a great ride!

Going to do all the bearings next, and starting to look at what needs replacing...

The Manitou Spyder forks ride well enough, but I remember doing something infuriating to them at the time and I think some top out bushes are missing, so there is quite a thunk on full recoil. They were never very exciting forks, can anyone suggest something apropriate I could replace them with? I remember always wanting some Judys...

The groupset is a bit of a mixture, I'm tempted to get it all to XT, thinking XTR is too flash for this bike, what do people think?

Then we can think about paintwork...

Nice project, groupset all xt would suit it well.

paintjob depends on if you can get decals close enough to original

Doing similar with mine, looking at all XT or similar SRAM equivalent. Not sure on replacement forks tho, struggling to find something suitable. Always liked the blue, mines not needing a full spray, but if you need decals try https://www.kleinspainted.com/--one-stop-klein-shop.html he seems to have all the bits you may need.
Thanks ttocamtesw, how is yours going?

I have made quite a lot of progress, with they help of some people here and eBay I now have a complete m739 XT groupset.
I have just had the frame back from the powder coaters and it looks great, colour is not a perfect match, but it looks good.
Thanks for the decals link, I think I will give them a go, I had ordered a set from a guy in Russia, but after a long wait (which he did say there would be), they are not very good and are going to take a lot of careful cutting out which is a bit disappointing.
I couldnt find any parts for the Manitou forks, so have got a pair of Marzocchi Bomber Z5. 4 years newer than the bike, but I can get parts and they are a very similar colour to the Spyders and the same travel, but hopefully a bit of a better ride

Looking like a pretty good respray. And good finds on the group set and Bombers, forgot all about them.

I’ve got various bits ordered, managed to find some new Deore XT bits, v-brakes were a bugg3r to source. Did seriously wonder what I was doing when the bill was totting up, but it’s my daily use bike and I’ve spent nothing over the years other than grease and pads. Also looked at scratching the whole idea and going new bike, but it’d be serious money, and the components would be bottom middle range again.

Managed to source some new Rockshox on eBay, nothing special but it’ll do for my purposes.

Prob be a week or so before I get all the bits, but will take some snaps along the way and post.

:)

Took a while to get round to posting this, and also to complete the project due to Covid/Family/Work. Glad to have her back on the road/offroad.

Included some new photos, and some old, and the before and after specs. Can only upload 10 files, more available if interested.

Ping me if anyone needs any info on parts etc. Some were a small bandit to locate, but they are all still out there, even for a 1998 bike.

New-001.jpg

Attachments

• Old-001.jpg
    Old-001.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
  • Parts-004.jpg
    Parts-004.jpg
    423.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Parts-003.jpg
    Parts-003.jpg
    529.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Parts-002.jpg