New bikes, old names

gump":3b6fbayb said:
That speccy is just worng Andy. Stuff nightmares are made of.

The 5 is certainly not the worst looking bike about, and compared to the RM and Spez above is positively sexy :)

I'm with you there Andy, what the F are these designers thinking :roll:
That RM is 1 of the worse i have ever seen, and there is some dogs out there ;)

Why can't we just go back to straight lines :?: They have been ok for years now, and seems like some dude in a Tawain factory has been given a new toy to make these frames.

I hate these 'swoopy' frames and no wonder bikes are getting heavier the shortest distance between 2 points is a stright line not a melty,wibbly..... :evil:

Calm down,calm down

Go Rocky! This was the last they saw of her. By the end of the first big climb, she was a minute ahead of the second placed rider and kept going away. [photo courtesy of rockyuphill on mtbr]

You might not like carbon, but that 2009 Vertex Team frame is apparently half the weight of the 2009 Blizzard, 2.55 to 5.05. I'd take the Vertex, if I could afford it. But I can't, that's why I ride retro.

Still at least they're still making the Blizzard - as far as I can see, there's no news yet of an Explosif for 2009 and it seems that Kona may have dropped the Explosif name. Happy to be corrected if wrong, but it would be about time - a 5lb frame doesn't merit the name Explosif. Now if they made an Explosif out of carbon, that would be terrible, wouldn't it? Hmmmmm.

Attachments

• 2009 Vertex Team, M-H Premont, Mont-St-Anne July 08.jpg
    2009 Vertex Team, M-H Premont, Mont-St-Anne July 08.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 1,094
Aside from individual cycles that have 'lost their way' (ditto the avalanche etc), I thik we can say the same for a lot of whole brands full stop.
Defo the likes of Ringlé who ain't what they were, but dare i say it too:
Race-face, Syncros, Nuke-proof etc etc

And Deore stuff.. . . not at all durable. .. not like the deore that we all once

Wasn't it Santa Cruz that started this organic look a few years ago?

Looking at the 2009 line-ups it seems almost all of the major manufactures have these weird and fugly as uck BB areas.

No doubt promoted as stronger, lighter, faster, etc... Surely it's just a 'line extension', exactly the same as re-designing a baked bean tin label to rekindle public interest in an old product. :?

Modern

Really think they are living off their reputation, but for those prices? Just think what you could buy? Its a wonder they sell any.
As for Carbon? It's just too fragile and susceptable to impacts, I have riding pals that are on their third warranty replacement frames with Carbon!
Know what I would choose! And which would be faster and last longer. Oh and did I mention might just look a little bit nicer? :) (And the frame weighs just 2.55 pounds too)
MerlinXLM003.jpg

only thing to be said for these swoopy lines is that you don't see straight lines in nature, I would assume they're done for strength reasons. Look how a bone is shaped.

Or am I crediting them with too much :roll:

orange71":2jga4f7i said:

only thing to be said for these swoopy lines is that you don't see straight lines in nature, I would assume they're done for strength reasons. Look how a bone is shaped.

Or am I crediting them with too much :roll:

Hydraforming is all style...don't let anyone tell you different. :D

Staight lines for stregth are everywhere. Geology, Spider webs, snow flakes and ice crystals. Triangulation baby! :D

Back