New bikes, old names

Didn't even know Pro-Flex were still going!
Love the hardtail too...kinda missed the point there :LOL:

Also as an aside, this intro page is SO badly written..
http://www.proflexusa.com/history.php
:roll:

The GT Avalanche - good call. Again what was once a top flite bike, now in the depths of a misguided car shop - budget special. Sad times. :(

The Altitude 30 is £2000, not exactly cheap, the XT/XTR Altitude 70 is £3000.

The frame alone is £1500, leaving £500 to kit the rest of the bike out (on the 30 spec)

The Spec on the 30 is XT, SLX & Deore (shifters)

How much was the frame BITD? How much was left to kit the bike out to it's RRP?

RM

Check out the "new" upright riding position with Ultra steep seat angle, thats gotta ride totally awful on steep downhills and uphill? it must feel like the pedals are behind you? Its just change for changes sake just to sell bikes, they'll go bust at this rate! No wonder Commencal have done so well in just a year or two, with opposition like this-Noddy designs a Mountain bike? By Rocky Mountain! New book title!

Didn't even know Pro-Flex were still going!
well they're not really. It's a Spanish company that bought the name. Quite why they have USA in the name when they're from Spain I'm not sure...

EDIT: American designer :roll:

Andy B":3tagjzy4 said:

The frame alone is £1500, leaving £500 to kit the rest of the bike out (on the 30 spec)

Crikey! Never even looked at the price!
Still think its a big departure from the handmade steel hardtail that was.

The frame in 93 IIRC was £1200. Allowing for Blairs hyperinflation must equate to oooo, er.....

Andy B":367ldl4t said:

Who'd pay £1500 for a frame that looks that shit? i know it's got to be form over function but a line should be drawn somewhere....

Just think about all the great manufacturers who once made quality bikes, but now are just homogenised crap. Dawes, Raleigh, Claude Butler, Saracen, Puegeot. Need I go on?
Sadly, there's more money for a company that buys goods in from the far east than one that makes quality goods in the west. I guess Rocky Mountain will eventually succumb to that too.

John":aqseq8y1 said:
Andy B":aqseq8y1 said:

Who'd pay £1500 for a frame that looks that shit? i know it's got to be form over function but a line should be drawn somewhere....
*whistles as he hides his £1100 (frame) Orange 5* :LOL:

You should see the '09 spesh range, they look like they are made of chocolate that has been left by a fire & has melted :shock:

I'll link this so as not to cause too much offence to the eyes....

http://tredz.typepad.com/photos/uncateg ... l_2009.jpg

That speccy is just worng Andy. Stuff nightmares are made of.

The 5 is certainly not the worst looking bike about, and compared to the RM and Spez above is positively sexy :)

Back