New bike New discipline, cyclocross.

Well its race day just around the corner again and it looks likely i will be racing with the big boys at Temple Newsam in Leeds, 30 minutes nearly killed me the other week so racing for a full hour is going to be hell. Its apparently a much more technical course, so that should suit me better and if not its a good excuse for being slow. I would like to do a minimum of 7/8 laps and not finish dead last :shock: but we will see how I get on.

Taking my 1987 Raleigh Avanti as the spare bike in the pits... :cool:

Fair play to you sir!

I have a kona jake 62cm and no stamina. Best of luck. You know what they say.......

I will do a full update later but for now I did ok I think. I'm weighing for the results.
It was another fantastic day, blue skies and a really good track.

Cheers for the interest.

So Last weekend I did my first proper cross race for the full hour, I was a bit anxious but had herd it was a good cause with and nice woodland section, this is right up my street as I spend most of my time screaming down single track across more land or in woods. There was a big turn out probably due again to the sunshine and blue skys ( what is with the weather this autumn?). I dragged the family along as well so they could watch the U10 and U8 race. I think watches these little one race if just brilliant every thing from little dots on balance bikes to kids ( mostly on Islabikes) that look like they would give the British cross team a run for there money. After the kids had finished I did a quick practise lap and was feeling a lots better about the race, the woodland sections was great and mostly down hill and the fact that I feel off on the first soft corner didn't put me of.

As the race gridded up I hung back to start some where near the back of the pack with the intention of setting of at a steady pace, as it turns out we didn't have a choice as we all got squished up on the first 1/2 lap but the field soon opened up as the faster boys pulled away. It did take me 2 laps to get the hang of the course and after that I settled in to a steady pace. We had 2 hurdles on a nice slippy hill after a hairpin to get over. The training I have had with the Bronte Wheelers helped me immensely to get over these and I even sort of looked to know what I was doing but by far the best section was the wood land. It was narrow, fast, down hill with lost of bends and roots to get around/over. I did come of once due to my speed being better that my skills and again when I was chasing some much faster/better races down through the woods. I was keeping up with them until about the last 50 meters, when the guy I was on the back wheel of slowed down a bit more than I expected for a bend and my front wheel tapped his back wheel on the exit and I was off in the brambles ( sorry if that was you) but he carried on ok, so no harm done :D .

I did the 7 laps I wanted to do and didn't come dead last so I was very happy about that. I do think I could have pushed on a bit more and maybe got and an 8th lap in, maybe next year. I am looking forward to my next race a Boughton hall, Rapha supercross weekend so that should be good fun. Another great day out with a really friendly atmosphere, some of you should try it.

:xmas-cool: Keep this on the QT but I have just taken delivery of one brand new Beinn 24 Islabike in the new very metallic orange/red colour for my 8 year old girl. I will sort out some picturs if I get the chance but I looks fantastic and a bit more modernt that the older grey graphics, I think she will love it. Fingers crossed she will do next years summer cross with me.

Cheers for that, and here's two shots of me looking very focused and still rocking the old retro bike shirt. Just so happens I was following the same bike I was riding.

I would say most people are still using canti brakes but the numbers of disc brakes is catching them up.

Anyway that me out of riding for a week or so, running up the stairs at home on Friday night and have managed to pull a muscle in ny lower back, really bloody hurt at the time but starting to feal a bit better but no chance I could ride a bike though. Missing the Rapher super cross this weekend, gutted....

Back