Name that Hub and that stem..

keithglos":1abu8vf3 said:
The hubs are British Hub Co. Airlite, large flange. (not high).
Top quality of their type, up till mid 1950s, then overtaken by FB and Campagnolo.
Don't recognise the stem.

Tend to agree those Airlite hubs based on the pic

There was another brand of large flange hubs that look very similar to Airlite but the flange has a slightly wider diameter. Can't remember the name at the moment but I think it starts with 'B' (but not Brampton). They often get confused from a distance but there should be identification marks to confirm the maker.

BTW, Racelite hubs mentioned earlier have a solid alloy body unlike Airlite which have a chromed steel barrel with alloy flanges.

bugloss":76guldrj said:
How about the cable routing, has anyone seen this on a 1951 frame ?
the Italian frame Cicli Romeo featured concealed cable routing as early as 1938 that I know of although it wasn't until the 1980's it became the "must have" on top end road bikes here in the UK....the first bike I can remember seeing with concealed cables was on a fellow club members Bill Philbrook back in the 1960's

I'm surprised that no one has asked or guessed what the bike is. Or maybe you already know and are waiting for me to make a complete tit of myself as normal. :roll:

A beer for the first correct answer, you will have to meet me at either The Retro Ronde, The Bravo Scozia or an RB self flagellation session in Blighty to claim your refreshment.

The History Man":vt8k6e9v said:
Eric the hub and Bunty the stem?

Do I win the prize? :LOL:

Outerwear attended to.

Yes you win the 'special' prize for the most creative entry HM. It's a pointy hat with your own private corner complete with matching waste paper basket.

Back