Mystery titanium frame

greencat

Senior Retro Guru
I acquired this a few years ago, but realistically it's far too small for me (17inch) and having recently discovered it, I figured it's about time to move it on. Any thoughts on what it might be worth? Not magnetic, and definitely looks/feels like titanium - even if some of the welding seems unusual.

Here's all the seller was able to tell me about it (and even they acknowledged it might not be the the complete truth!)

"Built by a chap called Wise & he lived/lives in a village near Rickmansworth called Sarratt.
He worked on the building of Tornado aircraft & built these frames as a hobby. "

IMG_8287 Large.jpeg IMG_8286 Large.jpeg IMG_8285 Large.jpeg IMG_8284 Large.jpeg IMG_8283 Large.jpeg IMG_8282 Large.jpeg IMG_8281 Large.jpeg IMG_8280 Large.jpeg IMG_8279 Large.jpeg IMG_8278 Large.jpeg

Last edited:
Welding is a bit unusual, around the bottle cage bosses, but from the chips and the size of the welds it looks like alu to me. Ti would have welds a lot neater.

Yes, the metal looks rather darker grey in real life though. Plus the tubing gauge seems narrow for alu. But could easily be wrong. I agree though, I've never seen titanium, steel or aluminum welding like this before.

clean a bit of paint of from inside the BB or head tube.
put vinegar on it. if you get little bubbles forming it's ali.

those drop outs don't like like aluminium, much to skinny.

Yes, the metal looks rather darker grey in real life though. Plus the tubing gauge seems narrow for alu. But could easily be wrong. I agree though, I've never seen titanium, steel or aluminum welding like this before.
Brake bosses have no spring holes, so one would assume rollercam or u brake, but looks much to low.

The dropouts - they look steel. Even large ti manufacturers use laser cut dropouts - you can do it with Ti, but the cost would be very high.

Latest posts

Back