Titanium Frame Identification - (Sorted Sept. 2023 - Russian Mig 3.3)

MuchAlohaNui

Senior Retro Guru
Hello Detectives,
This frame and not knowing what it is, is driving me a bit nuts. Originally, in my novice experience with Serotta, I started a thread here on Retro asking for those more familiar to give their opinion in deciphering if the frame is an ATi or a Ti-Max Serotta. However, I have a 1992 T-Max frame and a 1994 ATi frame, and the frame posted here looks nothing like my KNOWN Serotta frames. The previous owner, an older fellow, said he thought the frame was a 1995 or 1996 Serotta Ti frame, but frankly wasn't too confident and he rarely rode it. He was the second owner.

Of particular focus and what stands out to me with NOT being a Serotta are these points:
The stickers are not original, the head tube sticker is sliiiightly crooked
The head tube tubing has flanges very near the cups.
The seat tube in relation to the very slanted top tube; seat tube to top tube on Serottas just have a short nub
The top tube cable routing; Serotta does derailleur cables along the bottom tube, this frame has both derailleurs + rear brake on top tube
The top tube cable routing; on the top tube, two cables on the drive side (brake and rear der.) one cable on non-drive (front der.)
The cable guides at the seat clamp are not guides but very small titanium tubes
The seat tube length extended above the top tube
The rear drop outs
The metal work/design of the stays welded to the rear dropouts
There is NO serial number anywhere on the frame
The luster of the titanium is slightly darker/muted than my ATi frame which is more vibrant
The brakes are V-brake; iirc Serotta was still doing cantis well into the mid-90's
I will literally buy the person a beer who can help me figure out this frame. I will paypal friend-and-family you beer money. :LOL: If you require more specific photos of a given area of the frame, please don't hesitate to ask. Mahalo!

EDIT: Update - Sept. 5th 2023. Frame is a Russian Mig 3.3 until proven otherwise. Not Chinese, not a Simplon, not a Serotta.

Titanium Mystery 01.jpeg Titanium Mystery 02.jpeg Titanium Mystery 03.jpeg Titanium Mystery 04.jpeg Titanium Mystery 05.jpeg Titanium Mystery 07.jpeg

Last edited:
Get the mods to move this to the '97 section. You might have more luck over there finding out what it is. Very good looking whatever it is!

Get the mods to move this to the '97 section. You might have more luck over there finding out what it is. Very good looking whatever it is!
I have threads in both sections because I dont know if the frame is cantilever brake era with V brakes retrofitted or if the frame is a bit newer with v-brakes standard. I am trying to get maximum exposure.

Drawing blanks on this. Thought it could be a 96 Voodoo D-Jab or Litespeed Parkpre, but no. Perhaps a Clark Kent?

I'm 50-50 it is USA built or Russian / Asian.

The rear dropouts look similar to early Kona Ti. I just don't remember who made those. I read it here so I am sure that the knowledgeable know. The frame looks to be cantilever with a V-brake retro fitted. The cable guide doesn't look like it was made for housing, just wire. Why is it clear coated?

Based on the cable guides I'd say it was designed for cantis. If that's how V brake cables were designed to run I'd be surprised.

Nice looking frame though.

96 Voodoo D-Jab or Litespeed Parkpre, but no. Perhaps a Clark Kent?
Taking your suggestions, I looked at what photos and catalogs I could find, but nothing sits comfortably. I was hoping the cable guides and the flanged head tube help you or others out! I'll upload a few photos in a minute of this frame next to my Serotta ATi. The differences are pretty noticeable. The bikes you suggested do have very similar geometry though!

The rear dropouts look similar to early Kona Ti. I just don't remember who made those. I read it here so I am sure that the knowledgeable know. The frame looks to be cantilever with a V-brake retro fitted. The cable guide doesn't look like it was made for housing, just wire. Why is it clear coated?
My frame has similar geometry to the earlier Kona Ti's too. I think they were made by Merlin. Regarding the frame being clear coated? I don't know? Maybe the original owner wanted that...maybe a factory option?

Based on the cable guides I'd say it was designed for cantis. If that's how V brake cables were designed to run I'd be surprised.

Nice looking frame though.
But the rear brake cable guide "dumps" the brake cable at an obtuse angle. I'll upload a picture...

This frame isn’t anywhere near the same geometry as my ATi other than the length of the head tube is exactly the same and maybe the bottom bracket housing width. Here are a bunch more pictures.

057C3024-1931-4E50-9AA8-ED5F55BD0B32.jpeg E8BF196A-B213-430E-9ECB-C5B359B7F237.jpeg A89B1F1A-E18A-4FB7-9879-D61C60A4254D.jpeg 716B9FFC-3FC7-46CF-B7AD-481C6A867BB7.jpeg C4F1A482-938B-4B06-839B-0F2B9D2C0B36.jpeg E7144F09-BC34-4CF4-9718-E0DCE930BEE9.jpeg 5BC70665-F658-43D3-B0C8-907D33A99573.jpeg CFCCD4E5-6C9E-42ED-A418-2F96B6770FBE.jpeg D207DD75-C5CF-49EC-B5E1-6849FFA27126.jpeg CACE561B-6B40-4E3D-8F85-A9816756F55F.jpeg

Latest posts

Back