My Holy Grail!!!! first time pics up (kona content)

mvd1974":24p5axgt said:
So you're planning a respray ?

I like the idea of building it up with non-bling parts for this one :D

Is your Yeti on the >1998 forum ? Would like to see some pics of that one aswell. Especialy when there are Airlines on it. Hoping 'Airlines' means Shimano airlines... and wondering the set up.

And for now..: Looking forward to see the Kona completed with the 950 components.. :shock: :p

Yeah - dont want it to be an over the top build - got another kona going for that (the white one in the background)

Yes it is my Yeti in the >1998 forum and it does have Shimano Airlines on it as well as gen 1 boxxers and HED Wheels - i'll try and take some photos and post them up there

Thanks for the comments about the paint guys. to be honest I didnt want to repaint it but it has been touched up so badly its unbelieveable and there is a bit of surface rust thtat needs dealing with.

This is more of a restoration than a respray. We have colour matched the paint and done some ultra thin transfers which are going to go on in the same places as the current ones and then clearcoated over the top.

It should look the same as originally done

Good job mate...always great to find the bike you want...we must get together at some stage!!!

Rich

nporternz":2yqrdhvq said:
The guy seems to remember that it was released North America only and mid season (hence not in any catalogues) and with a run of between 100-200 bikes/frames and the frame was colour matched to a limited release of the Z1 forks

That would be Z2 not Z1 ;)

MY97 Z2s have no downtube clearance, but changing the crown to a Z1 version (which has more height) fixes this most of the time. If you are going to go to the trouble of repainting, then its a worthwhile change.

Yes I think it’s plum blue in the sense of ‘absolutely’, as in plum crazy.

That Z2 looks odd to me. My 98 Z2s have c2-3mm clearance from the same frame with a RaceFace Thermo, but they’ve got a different design of preload knob that doesn’t stick up anything like far. That is as far down into the crown as the stanchions will go, is it?

It doesn’t look like a practical design, surely it would damage any frame? There’s nothing unusual about the Kilauea’s head tube/down tube design. All of my Z2s also have a sexagonal shape plug, but not as high as that and right down in the crown with a circlip. And the knob itself has straight sides.

Andrew will know all about it.

Anthony":3fm77ir1 said:
Yes I think it’s plum blue in the sense of ‘absolutely’, as in plum crazy.

That Z2 looks odd to me. My 98 Z2s have c2-3mm clearance from the same frame with a RaceFace Thermo, but they’ve got a different design of preload knob that doesn’t stick up anything like far. That is as far down into the crown as the stanchions will go, is it?

It doesn’t look like a practical design, surely it would damage any frame? There’s nothing unusual about the Kilauea’s head tube/down tube design. All of my Z2s also have a sexagonal shape plug, but not as high as that and right down in the crown with a circlip. And the knob itself has straight sides.

Andrew will know all about it.

the stanchions are sticking up out of the crown bit - need to push them down a bit

its weird. The adjusters are held in with a circlip and the preload adjuster ensemble is the same as the one in the Z1 maintainence sheet

nporternz":1b34pb2q said:
its weird. The adjusters are held in with a circlip and the preload adjuster ensemble is the same as the one in the Z1 maintainence sheet

The MY97 Z1, Z2 and Z3 all have the preload caps sticking out like that. Its normal.

The top caps were changed for MY98 because of the poor clearance. They are less of an issue on the Z1 because the crown is different, thus if you find a Z1 crown it may fix the problem.

There are a few frames which will clear the top caps without a worry, but smaller MY97 Konas are not one of them.

Back