‘96 Kona Kilauea (was ‘95 “Kilueua”)

Dad (@LittleJames) swung by Bristol for the weekend and brought his recently acquired ‘92 Kilauea. He bought one new from York Cycles back in the day but sold it a few years back. He’s chuffed, and keen to know more about this model.

EA68923B-0AEB-4C42-8961-45BC2FB3135F.jpeg

Check out those Klein grips 😎

13FD634A-96D8-481F-9112-205088F971FD.jpeg

Realised I haven't updated this thread for a little while! I am keeping another record over on LFGSS, so forget to put anything up on here. I completed the bike a couple of months back, but with life getting in the way, it hasn't seen a load of action. A handful of trails, a race and a couple of social rides later and I'm still tweaking it. I think I get a lot of enjoyment from tweaking, and buying and selling parts, so I don't feel too disappointed about this!

My dad and a couple of his friends have recently bought Konas too, and we're hoping to get some adventures in in 2023. I'm excited to see where me and this bike end up!

Here's a couple of pics from the last 3 months to show progress on the bike:

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
IMG_5844.jpeg

I love the nippy feel of the P2 for riding around town, and climbing over rocks, but since swapping out the RST fork the bike came with I've been curious about trying suspension again. I found these Marzocchi Bomber Z2 BAM forks on marketplace for a good price and thought it would be a good opportunity to learn about suspension.

The forks came with a sheared bolt in the crown at the steerer and after asking the seller about it, I got blocked! I've always had good experiences on Facebook, and knew it was about time I got bitten by something like this. I've bought a bolt extracting bit for £3 which should get it out. Be careful out there!

755DC6D5-0864-4632-83E9-6726A1D2B43E.jpeg IMG_6039.jpeg

Anyone know where I can find the V brake/canti studs for the fork to see me through while I sort out a disc solution?

What chainrings are you using?

Those old Marz forks are cool. At the time I didn't know anything about mtb forks (and still don't) but had tuned a couple of vintage motorcycle suspensions; funny thing is, the Marz forks are basically little teeny motorcycle forks. Made sense to me! I figured the key would be to get the right spring rate for my weight, which was always the issue with motorcycles. Wasn't that long ago you could find springs for these things, dunno if they are still available or not. I never got to ride em after rebuilding them, so I'm eager to see how yours turn out

Back