My Holdsworth special 1971......

Midlife":t71gfujs said:
Yep, fab source of Holdworth bikes. Norman passed away but his website is still maintained. I eventually found my mystery 1981 Holdsworth Classic on his website. Built as a bike would cost £2500 in todays money.

Is your frame there?
Wow :shock: 2500 no will have a proper look right now I was looking at the catalogue pics just day dreaming about owning any off them brand new

Midlife":k7ng7y6h said:
Yep, fab source of Holdworth bikes. Norman passed away but his website is still maintained. I eventually found my mystery 1981 Holdsworth Classic on his website. Built as a bike would cost £2500 in todays money.

Is your frame there?
So pic and info wise looks like early professional with the thin wrap over seat stays but I have heart type cut outs in seat and head tube lugs?.
And if go by frame number it comes under custom build 1971 so I’ll probably never know but I’ll keep looking and digging and asking in mean time on with the paint,decals ordered :cool:

Have you got a pic of more of the frame now you've painted it? Colours are looking great. What are you painting it with, 2k and a spray gun?

Jonny69":1crld8de said:
Have you got a pic of more of the frame now you've painted it? Colours are looking great. What are you painting it with, 2k and a spray gun?
Thanks :cool: i have been getting colours mixed and put into spray cans (sold all my spray equipment few years back) and spraying in garden with the sun baking it for free lol here’s few more pics it’s hard to catch sparkle unless get close up as shine/sun glare gets lost in pics hopefully got the lustre just right the blue I’ll paint once decals arrive(I sprayed a piece of card in blue to take pics for my own reference incase I don’t like it)....next dread is building with out scratching anything as dropped forks once already :facepalm:

Attachments

• D8CEAA59-0361-4B18-9C4E-33AFEAB3B932.jpeg
    D8CEAA59-0361-4B18-9C4E-33AFEAB3B932.jpeg
    109.9 KB · Views: 481
  • C561DE44-B44B-4DD4-B622-E45E3DC71D26.jpeg
    C561DE44-B44B-4DD4-B622-E45E3DC71D26.jpeg
    90.8 KB · Views: 481
  • E109502C-0E68-427A-AD83-E176EB559A07.jpeg
    E109502C-0E68-427A-AD83-E176EB559A07.jpeg
    335 KB · Views: 481
  • EE221697-31EF-4BF5-AAA5-189FB2B08094.jpeg
    EE221697-31EF-4BF5-AAA5-189FB2B08094.jpeg
    376 KB · Views: 480
  • 944E6B27-C901-4A32-A676-F12EC28E388D.jpeg
    944E6B27-C901-4A32-A676-F12EC28E388D.jpeg
    206.7 KB · Views: 480
Collier_mk2":1w6sn4kj said:
Jonny69":1w6sn4kj said:
Thanks :cool: i have been getting colours mixed and put into spray cans (sold all my spray equipment few years back) and spraying in garden with the sun baking it for free lol here’s few more pics it’s hard to catch sparkle unless get close up as shine/sun glare gets lost in pics hopefully got the lustre just right the blue I’ll paint once decals arrive(I sprayed a piece of card in blue to take pics for my own reference incase I don’t like it)....next dread is building with out scratching anything as dropped forks once already :facepalm:
Looking very nice and I do like that orange.

Not scratching it when you put it together? Wait, wait and wait a bit more before you touch it, I tend to wait at least a week. The worst things are the BB and the headset installs.

Also I've found 2K lacquer in cans now so 3 thin coats of this after I've applied the decal's seems to do the trick, the instructions say paint in 18 to 22 degrees and it should be dry in a day, but like I say patience before going anywhere near it with a bike part or any tools, its so tempting to put it together but makes for an unhappy builder if you rush it.

allenh":26qg5y6t said:
Collier_mk2":26qg5y6t said:
Jonny69":26qg5y6t said:
Looking very nice and I do like that orange.

Not scratching it when you put it together? Wait, wait and wait a bit more before you touch it, I tend to wait at least a week. The worst things are the BB and the headset installs.

Also I've found 2K lacquer in cans now so 3 thin coats of this after I've applied the decal's seems to do the trick, the instructions say paint in 18 to 22 degrees and it should be dry in a day, but like I say patience before going anywhere near it with a bike part or any tools, its so tempting to put it together but makes for an unhappy builder if you rush it.

Soooooo I’ve finished paint and fitted most decals and am happy so far have the odd mark to flat n polish but overall very pleased with my first bike so far, but will leave it alone now,we’ll I have no choice I’m waiting on post man for crank arm tool and bottom bracket tool plus my brakes the bolts are right but holes aren’t big enough at the back for the Allen bolt things to go into and they don’t stick out enough for a nut either :facepalm:

Re:

Here’s a few more pics from today I personally think it’s looking good by no means professional but on the whole I think very pleasing to the eye,I know not everyone will agree on the paint choices but we are all different and at least I’m putting another old bike back on the rd well hopefully if I can get anything I’ve got to fit lol
What’s the thoughts ?:cool:

Attachments

• 99F6E09A-165A-4C51-979A-2968C785B9A9.jpeg
    99F6E09A-165A-4C51-979A-2968C785B9A9.jpeg
    332.4 KB · Views: 436
  • F8CC3922-0BBD-483E-93D7-E02C7C3CD216.jpeg
    F8CC3922-0BBD-483E-93D7-E02C7C3CD216.jpeg
    215.8 KB · Views: 436
Collier_mk2":1pmdunx7 said:
Soooooo I’ve finished paint and fitted most decals and am happy so far have the odd mark to flat n polish but overall very pleased with my first bike so far, but will leave it alone now,we’ll I have no choice I’m waiting on post man for crank arm tool and bottom bracket tool plus my brakes the bolts are right but holes aren’t big enough at the back for the Allen bolt things to go into and they don’t stick out enough for a nut either :facepalm:
It needs nutted brakes (which does date the frame to pre allen bolt brakes at least), you can drill the back of the forks and the back of the brake bridge in the frame which may or may not be possible on the rear brake bridge and if I'm honest I think the frame is too nice to do that too, or you can try and get longer bolts for the brakes and normal 10mm nuts, the rear is easy as you just use a front brake which just leaves the front.

And that blue and orange are looking very nice indeed.

Back