my funk

1990 Funk

Hi Lewis,
my name is Ashley Grant and I used to ride/race for Adrian Meadows in 1990. He, with his girlfriend Virgini, were the sole importers of Funks direct from Daryl Funk when they first came out. They lent me a grey Funk with Suntour XC Pro to use for the year and I went on to buy my own in bright green with Campag and the first Rock Shox.
When I went up to London to see them I used their pink Funk and I wonder if this was it as it was one of the 1st two in the UK, it is very possible I believe. Of course being so new back then there were no distinguishing marks.
Also at that time Adrian was talking about possibly becoming the importer for Gary Fisher, but I dont think it came off, another link in your text.
I sold my Funk way back to a mate but bought it back last year and am starting to restore it. I will put it on here sometime.
Cheers,
Ash.

latest pic, new rear wheel, tyres & short cage deore rear mech, plus a bit of cleaning & polishing. manitou 2's as soon as i sort out parts req.

Attachments

• funk 020509.jpg
    funk 020509.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 1,644
On the point about forks, the box styles were later - 91/92 + or so? Lewis's and mine and no doubt a lot of the others pre-date that.

Although I really would like a box section fork, my heart keeps making me go back to a spinner style.

I wouldn't change that fork Lewis as that's as they were specced when they were first imported.

If you want to sell that one I might take it off you. I also have a cannondale pepperoni somewhere to try on it.

Mine currently has some Bradbury Manitous on but I still think the rigid option looks best - all IMO.

I really would like to know what the early original colours were beyond pink and green (forgetting all the later fancy fades etc). Anyone know?

manitou916":35cwp64h said:
Lid":35cwp64h said:
We need to get some replica Funk forks made.
Count me in :)

Getting Daryl Funk to answer an email has thus far eluded me, let alone get him to dust down an old pile of Easton alu and get welding :LOL:

(I would like some though!!)

crell, i know what you mean about the forks, however, i do plan to go racing again & as i can't afford a new bike it'll be on the funk & i can't help feeling a little bit of shock absorbtion at the front wouldn't go amiss. won't be selling the oe rigid forks as i has a sneeking suspision that i'm going to hate springy forks, did bitd, had shots on bikes fitted with most of the early forks inc mark from pro circuits own bike & didn't like any much. so i'd best retain the rigid option.
on early paint options, some where i've got a letter & spec sheet from pro trek (adrian meadows) will take some digging but i'll try & find it. also have may 90 of mbuk with 1st funk test if anyone is interested.

did email daryl & got a response, admittedly a short one, but a reaponse none the less, it was back in may 07.

Lewis I (we'd) [I think I can speak collectively ;) ] would love to see that spec sheet.

I thought the 90 MBUK test was in the gallery but it's not; just the 92 follow up one. Take a pic or scan it for the good of humanity :)

And congratulations on getting a response from Daryl, I too tried and failed...hmm maybe a 20 questions candidate :!:

Crell":2167z1re said:
I thought the 90 MBUK test was in the gallery but it's not; just the 92 follow up one.

This one?

Attachments

• funk_03_570.jpg
    funk_03_570.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 1,563
  • funk_02a_891.jpg
    funk_02a_891.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 1,563
nope, the one from may 1990..... i'll break out the scanner!
don't get too excited about the spec sheet, it was a letter on pro trek headed paper & a very basic drawing of the frame with dimentions.

Back