my funk

pickle, Andy was a local (norwich) ledgend, he was a window cleaner & used a pink trade bike carrying his ladders on one side.
this pro-circuit you talk of? is that as in the pro circut forks etc?
can't remember the guys name, think he was from the s/e somewhere, but he was down the forrest of dean (think it was the last round of the 91/92 MBC winter series) with the 1st set of forks on his yo eddy with Ti bars & stem. i had a shot on it, think he valued my opinion cos i'd just finish 4th overall in the juniors class??? didn't like it! given the year, i didn't get on with springy forks anyway, but it was the way the stem flexed in that way that titanium does?!! ruined a f-ing gorgeous bike in my opinion.
who mentioned Fuquy???? sure greg was living in norfolk/sufolk cos i remember meeting him a few times, fairly sure someone i knew had one of his 1st few frames (what a bunch of cash ready kit queens we were!) they were fookin gorgeous bikes.

Lou74,
Yeah, Pro-Circuit as in the forks. They also made hubs and chainrings, and offered a frame building service through Geoff Mindum.
I had 2 sets of their forks, and some chainrings, but unfortunately not any more. All I have left is one of their front hubs and my old full race kit.
Their forks were basically identical to the Manitou 1. I thought they were ok, but they were the first ever suspension forks I had ridden so could compare them to anything else.
Why dont you get back on the bike again and join us on a ride. There are regular meets at High Lodge in Thetford Forest ;)

may well do that, just need to get it sorted (need to sort myself out too, unfit isn't the work!). back wheel is like a crisp, don't supose you know anyone with 28 hole hubs lying around? i have a pair of Matrix mt titan rims that never got build & i'd like to use them. went to local shop & was told i'd be looking at 300 quid for a pair of hubs, spokes & building! after i'd picked myself up of the floor he showed me some factory built mavics with 'straight pull' flat spokes for £125, can't say i liked em much.
lewis

£300, jesus, don't know where you went but stop going there. Wheel builds should cost no more than £15 per wheel with spokes and then a set of hubs for £50-£100 and you're done. I had a set just done and they cost £50 for 2 builds (I supplied the hubs and rims) and a full service on the rear hub, added to which they were a bitch to build as the rear was an asymmetric, off-set build (manitou).

Your shop obviously has a stock of mavics to shift!

Just paid £85 at my LBS, the breakdown of their prices is as follows:

Labour Per wheel £25.00
For black spokes £28.80
Sliver spokes £18.00

I supplied rims and hubs.....they didn't give me any rim tape for that price though :roll: :roll:

Yep, roughly the same as Neill. Been quoted about £130 to build a pair of wheels, providing rims and spokes with me sending my hubs for the build. With my hubs costing £80 for the pair, a nice set of quality wheels ('new' Hope XC disc, XC717 rims) costs £210!

yeah, it was the best part of 300 notes, 190 for hope 28 hole hubs, 30 for spokes, 30 for labour, ok 250, but still....
saw some 28 hole xtr hubs on us fleabay going for not alot, but i have a retro motorbike build on the go... 4 yrs & counting!

MY old bike.......(sniffle)

here i am sat in the old peoples home and ol,Jo.b linked this thro. i cant believe the funk still lives, definately the bestest bike i had,remember having to saw a centimeter off the bottom of the headtube so i could fit the first ever pair of the rockshox in the country on just to suit the short steerer! the carbon wrap on the stays is to hold them together after they snapped! are you still in norwich lew? and not a pimply schoolboy no mo!. hey up for a ride?
ps. everyone else i,v got a SWEETWINGS chainset sat in box here. shall i throw it out?!

Re: MY old bike.......(sniffle)

raddad":23d9chna said:
ps. everyone else i,v got a SWEETWINGS chainset sat in box here. shall i throw it out?!

Yeah, I'll be round with my bin lorry shortly........

;)

Re: MY old bike.......(sniffle)

raddad":v76ad04w said:

I'm sure someone here will take your arm off for the chainset ;)

Nice Funk :)

Back