My first wheel build.

Can't see it in the picture but I hope that you have the valve hole in the right place, it should be between two spokes that are not close to each other if you get what I mean, this allows the pump to go on easy. Good source of help and with an easy coloured chart is Sheldown brown web site, he passed away a while ago but so much stuff on there
Good luck

Re:

Congratulations for the build!

This is also a skill I want to learn. Currently I have saved a rear wheel with a 7sp Deore LX hub, that my wife blew out after intensive use and too much air pressure, for that purpose. I also have a buckled front wheel with STX-RC. This winter I still need to go through a few overhauls of bikes I want to sell but next winter will definitely be wheel-building season.

Apart from the satisfaction of doing it yourself, I want to keep using 7 sp hubs, and since nowadays it's way cheaper to buy a complete new wheel than asking for a rebuild, they all come with 8-9 speed hubs (now even 10 and 11, wtf!) that add unnecessary dishing to my needs.

Plus wheel building is the ultimate skill for a retro-Fred!! ;-)

Great job :) salute you for having it a go.

Remember my first build, a pair of new 521 rims on lx hubs and competition spokes.. easy one, gets more tricky with used not 100% straight light weight rims ;-) welcome to the other side, the one that saves a lot of cheddar doing it your self ;-)

I've built a few pair now, typically takes me about 2 hours per wheel... Maybe a little less.

It's fun, methodical... Good zen work.

J

Re:

i had a go at lacing the rear wheel today, it didnt work out so well.
i have a feeling the bike shop may have worked out the spoke length wrong.
when i got it trued up there was about 3mm of spoke poking through every other nipple.
either that or i put the wrong spokes in the wrong side.
which ever way it is i followed the the bike shops instructions to the letter.
so i will be taking all the spokes out tonight after work. and trying the spokes in opposite sides.
if that doesnt work is it ok to cut a few mm off the the top of the spokes or should i get the bike shop to supply the right lenght spokes ?
i will post another update this week.

Re:

Always best if you got the correct length on your spokes.. right side should be about 2mm shorter than the left, but it is fully possible to use same length on both sides as well

Re: Re:

videojetman":3bpk0n50 said:
i had a go at lacing the rear wheel today, it didnt work out so well.
i have a feeling the bike shop may have worked out the spoke length wrong.
when i got it trued up there was about 3mm of spoke poking through every other nipple.
either that or i put the wrong spokes in the wrong side.
which ever way it is i followed the the bike shops instructions to the letter.
so i will be taking all the spokes out tonight after work. and trying the spokes in opposite sides.
if that doesnt work is it ok to cut a few mm off the the top of the spokes or should i get the bike shop to supply the right lenght spokes ?
i will post another update this week.

Similar thing happened to me during my first (rear wheel) build attempt, except I had dis-assembled a freshly built wheel (the old hubI had the shop biuld into the wheel was shot, which I didn't know until after I'd had it built up), and then used all the existing (new prior to build/dis-assembly) spokes and nipples. I didn't know, upon dis-assembling the wheel, that each side had slightly different lengths, and ran into the same problem you did, at first. I had to undo all the placements again, and carefully compare all the spokes for length, to sort them into applicable 'sides', and then once I had that sorted out ... the rest was a breeze!

have fun ...

Just finished truing the back wheel, this was a real challenge. But I have finally got the wheel very true.
The real challenge for me was the radial truing.
Once again you tube was very helpful.
And once again the truing stand was brilliant.
Very happy.

Back